Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Milwaukee Cordless chop saw

Options
  • 13-03-2015 10:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭

Anyone got one i might pull the trigger on one.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

I have the big brother 12 " mains saw which I bought for the digital readout. Shame the cordless saw has dropped this but it looks a well built unit and is only 14 kg. My own saw has been faultless and I am well pleased.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭Miname

recipio wrote: »
    I have the big brother 12 " mains saw which I bought for the digital readout. Shame the cordless saw has dropped this but it looks a well built unit and is only 14 kg. My own saw has been faultless and I am well pleased.
    I've the same saw as you recip I find it a bit clumsy. The blade pulls up too early in front of the fence too so can cause a fair share of chipping.

Miname wrote: »
    I've the same saw as you recip I find it a bit clumsy. The blade pulls up too early in front of the fence too so can cause a fair share of chipping.

Umm.......something wrong there. I've replaced the red insert with some 6mm ply, and fitted 12 mm ply on the faces of the saw. When you plunge the saw it makes its own zero clearance fence slots. With a good blade you get zero chipping. OK, you can't bevel the saw without ruining the setup but how often do you do that. ?!

Umm.......something wrong there. I've replaced the red insert with some 6mm ply, and fitted 12 mm ply on the faces of the saw. When you plunge the saw it makes its own zero clearance fence slots. With a good blade you get zero chipping. OK, you can't bevel the saw without ruining the setup but how often do you do that. ?!

The blade pulls up far further out than the makita or dewalt this chipping the tops on slips. I've tried various blades but find them too rough on the finer slips.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

Have you tried a triple cut one?

• Advertisement

Miname wrote: »
    The blade pulls up far further out than the makita or dewalt this chipping the tops on slips. I've tried various blades but find them too rough on the finer slips.

Cutting small slips or lathes is always tricky on a miter saw. They will kick up if unsupported and that is one reason I fitted a false fence. A good 60 tpi blade also makes a huge difference. Lastly, its better to pull the saw out and push to cut, keeping the lathe firmly against the fence - not chopping down on it.

Cutting small slips or lathes is always tricky on a miter saw. They will kick up if unsupported and that is one reason I fitted a false fence. A good 60 tpi blade also makes a huge difference. Lastly, its better to pull the saw out and push to cut, keeping the lathe firmly against the fence - not chopping down on it.

Lads don't take this the wrong way but it's an observation I made on the saw not a lesson on how to cut with it. I've tried triple chip blades crosscut blades and even a rip blade in it. False backing fences and all. There a great saw but more suitable for framing and such. Too big for moving regularly and the blades lift too far out from the fence . I've a makita there aswell and it gives a far superior cut but like that it has its own issues with locks and catches. Milwaukee nearly always beats other tools on build quality but sometimes they can be a taste too rugged.

Advertisement