Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tenant advice: Crap landlord, can I leave?

Options
  • 13-03-2015 9:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭

Hi Guys,

We moved into an apartment six months ago as part of a 12 month lease.

Weve been great tenants and paid bills on time, barely used the place and never caused any problems for the landlord or neighbours.

From the moment we moved in the landlord seemed very disinterested in us and wasnt any help with a few issues i addressed. Were fed up with the place and the way things have been now and we want to leave. Id like to get your advice to see what course of action to take.

How we feel the landlord hasnt lived up to expectations:

I lost my keys/gate fob and requested a new set a few times. He ignored me for weeks and finally replaced just the key(no fob) 2 months later. The gate code was changed without our knowledge recently and left us with no access the carpark and subsequently no access to the apartment at all. We were waiting hours in the evening for someone to leave so we could get through the gate and havent stayed in the apartment for the last week as a result. I notified the landlord and he ignored me until i said im leaving. He then gave me the code 7 days after my original request.

Aside from that weve had loud neighbours, a loud buzzing sound in the corridor which keeps us awake and a few other issues like cars being set on fire in the car park. I havent reported these issues to the landlord because i knew he would do nothing.

Anyway, unknowingly to me i havent paid rent for the last month (i changed banks and forgot to setup a new SO). Im now left in a situation where im due to pay last months rent and this months coming but we want to leave straight away. We found somewhere we would love to live and i know if i pay last months rent hell find a way to justify keeping our deposit somehow.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

If you leave hfway through a lease you are potentially liable for the rent for the remainder of it
    and dont expect a reference if you don't pay your outstanding and currently due rent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭bjork

The only issue that the landlord seems to be aware of is you loosing your keys.

If you haven't reported the rest to him, how do you expect him to know?

You need to pay your rent up to date

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Your reasons for wanting to leave are none that would justify breaking the lease. Losing the keys is not the landlord 's fault and the cost of replacement keys and a fob can be significant. You can seek to reassign the lease but legally you cannot withold rent.

As the previous poster said you are potentially liable for the rent until the end of the lease. Don't try to pull a fast one

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Baby01032012

topazblue wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

We moved into an apartment six months ago as part of a 12 month lease.

Weve been great tenants and paid bills on time, barely used the place and never caused any problems for the landlord or neighbours.

From the moment we moved in the landlord seemed very disinterested in us and wasnt any help with a few issues i addressed. Were fed up with the place and the way things have been now and we want to leave. Id like to get your advice to see what course of action to take.

How we feel the landlord hasnt lived up to expectations:

I lost my keys/gate fob and requested a new set a few times. He ignored me for weeks and finally replaced just the key(no fob) 2 months later. The gate code was changed without our knowledge recently and left us with no access the carpark and subsequently no access to the apartment at all. We were waiting hours in the evening for someone to leave so we could get through the gate and havent stayed in the apartment for the last week as a result. I notified the landlord and he ignored me until i said im leaving. He then gave me the code 7 days after my original request.

Aside from that weve had loud neighbours, a loud buzzing sound in the corridor which keeps us awake and a few other issues like cars being set on fire in the car park. I havent reported these issues to the landlord because i knew he would do nothing.

Anyway, unknowingly to me i havent paid rent for the last month (i changed banks and forgot to setup a new SO). Im now left in a situation where im due to pay last months rent and this months coming but we want to leave straight away. We found somewhere we would love to live and i know if i pay last months rent hell find a way to justify keeping our deposit somehow.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Thanks
    In terms of being great tenants- I don't are how, you've met your responsilbilities like any tenant - up until I read your behind with your rent.

If you pay last months rent he will find a way to justify keeping deposit - you haven't paid this months rent, no notice given. He is entitled to keep deposit and then go after you for remainder of 6 months your responsible for.

You lost your key and fob. He replaced your key. Fobs are very expensive and very difficult to get from the management agent.

In relation to noise and cars burnt how is this the landlords problem.

I think you need to take reality check and live up to your responsibilities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

So you lost your keys, which he replaced. And requested a gate code which he gave you. Now both of these things could have happened much more quickly I'll give you that. You now and expect the landlord to act as the guards to stop parties in your neighbours house and deal with cars on fire in the car park. In return for this you pay him the rent late and are looking to break the lease early? He'll be lucky to be rid of you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭topazblue

Ok thanks for the advice

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

The OP sounds like a nightmare tenant and "forgot" to set up standing order. For most people the rent is the first thing to sort when banking. The LL seems a little slow on reaction to your request s but as others say replacement keys are difficult at times to get . who paid for the replacements ? Over all id say he will be glad when the OP moves.

Advertisement