Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marked Pint Glasses

Options
  • 13-03-2015 5:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 17,390 ✭✭✭✭

What is the law regarding glasses used for pints in Ireland.
    I was always under the assumption that they had to be marked to the pint point and if no line then the whole glass was a full pint
    In a bar last night and the glass had no markings etc and when I got it it had a very large head (Czech beer...)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

fritzelly wrote: »
    I was always under the assumption that they had to be marked to the pint point and if no line then the whole glass was a full pint
    In a bar last night and the glass had no markings etc and when I got it it had a very large head (Czech beer...)

You can sell any volume you want as long you display the price per unite (pint, 250ml, 330ml etc)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,825 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

fritzelly wrote: »
    They must hold a pint. That's it. When you're sold a measure of beer you must be given that amount.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,391 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

If you're buying a specific volume of draught beer, the glass has to be 'stamped' by weights and measures to certify that it's a specific measure. The people who supply the bar trade can sell you unstamped and stamped glasses. If someone ordered a pint bottle of cider with a pint glass of ice, the publican could use an unstamped glass but if someone orders a pint of draught cider, he's obliged to use a stamped glass.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,825 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

coylemj wrote: »
    If you're buying a specific volume of draught beer, the glass has to be 'stamped' by weights and measures to certify that it's a specific measure.
    That's certainly not the case in Ireland. I don't think it's even true in the UK either. "Weights and Measures"? Who they?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,082 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

BeerNut wrote: »
    That's certainly not the case in Ireland. I don't think it's even true in the UK either. "Weights and Measures"? Who they?

I presume he means the former unit of Revenue who calibrate scales, counting mechanisms and so on. They are a separate body these days, the NSAI.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,492 ✭✭✭✭L1011

BeerNut wrote: »

Legal Metrology Service of the NSAI.

They haven't been putting the old mark on pint glasses here for maybe 8 years.

Advertisement