Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Accountant or DIY rent return

Options
  • 13-03-2015 12:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭

Hi all, small time land lord here. Just wondering if it's worthwhile employing an accountant to do my return or could I do it myself. Do revenue look after all the prsi and that or do I need to go to seperate departments???

Rent is small enough

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

It's doable yourself but the cost of hiring the accountant can be offset against tax. Generally I would advise to pay an accountant the first time, study their return and do it yourself from then on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

The cost can be written off to a degree so I get an accountant to do a full return for me and the wife, we generally make a couple of other savings on a fresh pair of eyes going over our expenses for the year in other areas too.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,365 ✭✭✭✭ted1

From personal experience I would not go near accountants when it comes to filing returns on income from apartments. 2 of them tried to convince me to pay revenue what they said owed them after an audit. I got a reauduit and revenue ended up owing me money.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭adam88

athtrasna wrote: »
    It's doable yourself but the cost of hiring the accountant can be offset against tax. Generally I would advise to pay an accountant the first time, study their return and do it yourself from then on.

Ballpark figure. I'm talking country bunglow. 500pm rent. I'm a standard paye worker apart from that.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,631 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

adam88 wrote: »
    Ballpark figure. I'm talking country bunglow. 500pm rent. I'm a standard paye worker apart from that.

IT can be as low as approx €250 for a standard straight forward return.

I would recommend these http://www.irishtaxsupport.ie/rental-income/

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

kceire wrote: »
    IT can be as low as approx €250 for a standard straight forward return.

I would recommend these http://www.irishtaxsupport.ie/rental-income/

I would definitely use an accountant for the 1st year .
    My tax bill is usually awful for my rent property :(

Advertisement