Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Freelance work

Options
  • 12-03-2015 11:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭

Hi
    i'm currently in college and we i'm very interested in Web Development as opposed to programming. If i choose to go out on my own, and i'm a good developer, is there much work in freelance work.
    I always think to my self, that eventually all business will eventually have websites and work will try up.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

i'm currently in college and we i'm very interested in Web Development as opposed to programming. If i choose to go out on my own, and i'm a good developer, is there much work in freelance work.
    IMO, it's 30% that you're good at what you do and 70% that you're a good businessperson. People tend to forget that freelance work is ultimately business. Invoices don't send themselves. Clients don't wander into your office (well a few will, but generally not enough to survive on).

Barristers are a good example of what happens when someone could be very good at their work, but ultimately a failure. Barristers are self-employed - essentially 'freelancers'. Many are academically excellent in matters of law or having come from college debating (many have that background) are impressive to behold in court.

Problem is many are earning less from their practice than they would flipping burgers. Why? They suck at the business part.

So, as long as the economic climate is good, yes, there will be business to pick up. Whether you can get it is another matter.
    I always think to my self, that eventually all business will eventually have websites and work will try up.
    Yes, because there is a finite number of businesses, products or services and new businesses, products or services are not continually being created. And of course once they have Web sites, they won't require updating or renovation ever again.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Web Development as opposed to programming..

But web development is programming? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

But web development is programming? :confused:
    Not to the WYSIWYG monkeys.

Advertisement