Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

single malt scotch aldi

Options
  • 12-03-2015 9:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭

has anyone tried this ? 24.99 its an isaly single malt. thinking of chancing it or another single malt from aldi or lidl...lidl have an own brand dundalgan 10yo single malt in soon.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,223 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Somebody in another thread is raving about the ALDI one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Islay Single Malt? Is it peaty?

Must investigate.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,492 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Its not a single malt, its a blend of Islay malts. I don't think there's any grain alcohol in it. Glenmarnoch is the brand on it - as it is for all Aldi's "special" Scotch, so make sure to look for the Islay name below it.

Its good, and its fairly peaty. Its very good for the price. It is officially a Christmas 2014 special but some stores have restocked it recently.

If Lidl are getting a ten year old Irish it'll likely be the exact same 10 year Irish Aldi had at Christmas, Clontarf 1014 which I think is a customer product of Bushmills (not 100% certain on it). It was decent but I'd actually still prefer Black Bush with its no age statement and undefined grain content over it.

As always, personal tastes vary a LOT with whisky!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Still though, an everyday peaty at that price is not bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭poitinstill

Yes correct it's an isllay blend. Tasting notes say very peaty. Will purchase next week. First venture into whiskey bar the usuals

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭FlicFlak

Yeah, ive bought a few bottles of this over the Christmas, and since. Its not the peatiest blended whisky ive tasted but it by far the peatiest ive tasted for 25 euro!!!!
    Its a very good whisky in its own right in my opinion, but for 25 euro, you definitely cant go wrong!
    Well worth a try!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭donaghs

"Glen Marnoch Islay Edition" in Aldi. Didn't see a year on it.

Lidl are also selling a €24.99 blended malt, called Abrachan.

Anyone had both and able to compare them?

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭FlicFlak

Yeah, i had both. Two completely different whiskies really. The Abrachan isnt peated at all, its a much more fruitier whisky, strong flavours of cherry, still smooth and extremely drinkable!! Definitely worth the price! Especially if you cant afford a good single malt Speyside!!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,492 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Had both, agree with the above description.

Advertisement