Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

State Contributory Pension/Old age pension

Options
  • 12-03-2015 7:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I am posting this on behalf of my mum who is having problems with social welfare. This is the information she has provided me with. Would appreciate any input.

She has recently applied for State Contributory Pension. She had 1,202 contributions over a period of 46 years but because there was a gap of approx 18 years when she had kids, they assessed the yearly average as 26 contributions giving her a reduced pension of €194 rather than the full €230.

She says that since 1994 there is a facility where you can disregard a gap of up to 20 years when using this averaging commutation. However, her period being a home-maker occurred before 1994.

We are wondering if anyone else has experience in this situation? It seems to her that if she had only worked from 2003 - 2014, she would have received the full €230. Would that be the case?

Thanks very much for any information or pointers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭haveringchick

The disregard of Homemakers years only applies from 94 and then only for kids up to age 12.
    Is your dad still alive? Is he a pensioner?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Rasmus

The disregard of Homemakers years only applies from 94 and then only for kids up to age 12.
    Is your dad still alive? Is he a pensioner?

She's divorced.

Is her ex currently giving her a maintenance payment? If so, he can claim €206 for her as his QA.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭HelenV

I know this thread is old so I hope someone will be keeping an eye on it.

I'm in the exact same position as the OP's mother. I've been working since 18 years and my pension is going to be cut also due to taking about 15 years out of the Irish system when my children were young. 4 of those 15 years were spent in the UK where I got Lone Parent Benefit/Allowance and worked at least 2,

Unfortunately I never claimed Jobseekers / Lone Parents here so I've got a gap also.

This penalty is really only applying to women and surely it's unconstitutional as women are not supposed to be penalised for minding their children.

If you were minding children under 12 at any time after 1994 then those years will not be included in the calculation
    This would give you a higher average.
    Have you got a record of your PRSI contributions and credits? How old are you now?

• Advertisement

Thanks for your response Haveringchick. I'm 65 now - still working as I cannot afford to quit but I believe even though I'm still paying PRSI these contributions won't count towards the pension. My children were born in '76 and '86. I worked from '68 to '75 - worked here and there part-time for a few years, also worked for a guy who it now transpires never paid PRSI contributions for me for 2 years, went to the UK and worked there for 2 years - returned to Ireland '91 and have been working since.

Yes I got my PRSI record from revenue and spoke with S.W. who confirmed I will be receiving a reduced pension.

I just feel it's rather unfair that I'm being penalised for not claiming any benefits from the State and for being a woman.

Any assistance you can give me would be most appreciated.

Basically if you haven't got the PRSI contributions and/or credits then there's nothing can be done about it
    If the pension your being offered is less than €222 per week then you can opt to be means tested for that amount
    Your savings of up to €20000 will be disregarded as will income from employment of up to €200 per week
    This is presuming you are living alone?

I did have enough contributions before the goalposts were moved a few years ago. I believe I've fallen through the cracks. Had I qualified for the pension a few years ago I would have received the full pension - if my children had been born later I would also have received it also. There must surely be a very small number of people who fall into this category.

Yes I'm living alone.

I really don't want to apply for the non-contributory. I've contributed and worked for nearly 34 years. I know pride is a killer but there you go.

I suppose I'll have to grin and bear it but it seems somewhat of an anomoly that someone who has never worked at all should receive nearly E20 p.w. more than someone who has worked 34 years.

Upon reflection Haveringchick, I may have sounded a little curt in that last post - my apologies if I did, it wasn't intended in any way towards you. I'm just annoyed with the system. Thanks for your responses - they weren't what I was hoping for I'll admit but you taking the time is very much appreciated. HelenV

• Registered Users Posts: 30 ceo

I have a few questions in relation to applying for Contributory Pension for my dad. He is a little forgetful these days and on the application form they want to know his employment details. I can only fill in one or two of these some are going back to 1977 or there abouts. Is there anywhere I can find these details? Also for the last 10 years or so he has been on Disability Allowance does that mean he should apply for Non Contributory to be honest as helpful as the SW website is I'm still really confused. I was just going to contact SW tomorrow morning to see what can be done but if anyone can advise me I would really appreciate it.

• Advertisement

HelenV wrote: »
    I did have enough contributions before the goalposts were moved a few years ago. I believe I've fallen through the cracks. Had I qualified for the pension a few years ago I would have received the full pension - if my children had been born later I would also have received it also. There must surely be a very small number of people who fall into this category.

Yes I'm living alone.

I really don't want to apply for the non-contributory. I've contributed and worked for nearly 34 years. I know pride is a killer but there you go.

I suppose I'll have to grin and bear it but it seems somewhat of an anomoly that someone who has never worked at all should receive nearly E20 p.w. more than someone who has worked 34 years.

Someone who has never worked at all will be applying to be means tested for the non con pension of €222 because they won't have any PRSI either contributions or credits, so it's not the case that someone who has worked for years HAS to take a lesser amount then someone who has never worked
    There was an anomaly pre 2012, in that someone with an average of 20 got a pension that was only €5 less than someone who had an average of 48, which wasn't really fair either
    To me, there's no issue with pride and pension, you have to live, it's worked out that your being penalised for having stayed home to mind your kids so your entitled to do your best for yourself
    You will also get €9 living alone increase, €35 per month electricity allowance, free TV license, free travel and depending on your income, €22.50 fuel allowance in the winter.
    Good luck with your retirement!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Yes I'm living alone.

You can also have the NHS contributions counted toward your pension. If you know your UK insurance no., write to the Dept of Work & Pensions. I think their central records is still in Newcastle.

Someone who has never worked at all will be applying to be means tested for the non con pension of €222 because they won't have any PRSI either contributions or credits, so it's not the case that someone who has worked for years HAS to take a lesser amount then someone who has never worked
    There was an anomaly pre 2012, in that someone with an average of 20 got a pension that was only €5 less than someone who had an average of 48, which wasn't really fair either
    To me, there's no issue with pride and pension, you have to live, it's worked out that your being penalised for having stayed home to mind your kids so your entitled to do your best for yourself
    You will also get €9 living alone increase, €35 per month electricity allowance, free TV license, free travel and depending on your income, €22.50 fuel allowance in the winter.
    Good luck with your retirement!

I'll not be retiring 'till i'm 70 courtesy of mortgage payments. :mad:
    Just if you could answer spare the time to let me know if those extra payents apply to Contributory or non-Contributory pensioners (I've no TV) and are they means tested also? i.e if I'm working am I entitled to claim them. I feel like a bit of a begging ass trying to get the last cent but times have been quite hard in recent years due to taxes and massive cut in gross salary (recession forced). Thanks again.

You can also have the NHS contributions counted toward your pension. If you know your UK insurance no., write to the Dept of Work & Pensions. I think their central records is still in Newcastle.

Yes I know my UK Insurance No. I have the actual card. Strange though my daughter started working in the UK recently (she was born there) but they said there was no record of me on the system. I'll chase it up over the coming days. I think I'm going to get a hammering there also 'cos I was one of the fools who 'opted out'. I think the system is changing in April so I'd better get cracking.

ceo wrote: »
    I have a few questions in relation to applying for Contributory Pension for my dad. He is a little forgetful these days and on the application form they want to know his employment details. I can only fill in one or two of these some are going back to 1977 or there abouts. Is there anywhere I can find these details? Also for the last 10 years or so he has been on Disability Allowance does that mean he should apply for Non Contributory to be honest as helpful as the SW website is I'm still really confused. I was just going to contact SW tomorrow morning to see what can be done but if anyone can advise me I would really appreciate it.

I'm probably not the best one on here to be answering your post but if you contact revenue for a record of your Dad's contributions (he might have to do it though) you'll see how far back his record goes and you might be able to start there. If I were you I'd bring my Dad to the Dept of S.W. They are really quite helpful and would point your nose in the right direction. If I were you I'd apply for the Contributory - they'll change it if necessary. They really are very helpful. Maybe a chat with someone in Citizens Information would be useful too. It's rather daunting when you're not used to it.

I'll not be retiring 'till i'm 70 courtesy of mortgage payments. :mad:
    Just if you could answer spare the time to let me know if those extra payents apply to Contributory or non-Contributory pensioners (I've no TV) and are they means tested also? i.e if I'm working am I entitled to claim them. I feel like a bit of a begging ass trying to get the last cent but times have been quite hard in recent years due to taxes and massive cut in gross salary (recession forced). Thanks again.

As long as you are in receipt of a State pension either con or non con and living alone you will get free travel, living alone allowance and free TV and electricity allowance.
    fuel allowance is means tested
    Medical card is means tested
    If your earnings are more than €200 per week then you need to work out wether you're better off taking the con pension which would remain unchanged by your wages or the non con which will be reduced gradually by wages in excess of €200
    You could go to your local Citizens Information Centre for free confidential advice
    Bring all the evidence you have

Advertisement