Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PC madness

Options
  • 12-03-2015 5:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/rape-crisis-network-criticises-misogynistic-anti-drinking-ad-1.2136984

Ridicolous ...

MOD - Adding a bit of context from the article
    The Rape Crisis Network of Ireland has called for the immediate withdrawal of an advertisement aimed at raising awareness of alcohol abuse

The network says the ad from the Stop Out-of-Control Drinking campaign and published in a national newspaper today, is “misogynistic” and promotes the idea that women who drink are “asking” to be physically and sexually assaulted.

The campaign however rejects the assertion by the RCNI, saying it has ”wildly misunderstood” the advertisement.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

I've always preferred the Nintendo games to be honest. PC is good for strategy games though

• Registered Users Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

do you think you could dumb it down OP? we aren't all rocket scientists.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

It obvious that the ad is about setting an example for your younger siblings

where did they get the asking to be raped bit from?:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭wendell borton

Never trust a PC you can't throw out a window.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Slicemeister

This glasshouse really is a thing of beauty.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I think they have a point. I took it to be her mother in the background and that the girl was attacked because she was drunk. I see it differently having read the explanation but it is far from obvious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

do you think you could dumb it down OP? we aren't all rocket scientists.

I agree. It went completely over my head too.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,234 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

I used to love Marble Madness!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

As long as they have one with a young lad coming in with a shiner, a loose tooth and a taco chip down his shirt and his wee brother watching then I see nothing with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭Mint Aero

Out of control drinking ruins your ability to apply mascara? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭Renegade Mechanic

These people need to be sent to African mines. The depth they can dig to, to find things would put any equipment to shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭KungPao

I think Clíona Saidléar has clearly got the wrong end of the stick.

The Rape Crisis Centre and their need for publicity, funding and constantly making out that everything is worse than it is to increase the two aforementioned reasons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭The Strawman Argument

"Who's following in your footsteps? Out of control drinking has consequences" could certainly be interpreted as implying something along those lines, especially when the child in the background is out of focus. I definitely didn't get the actual idea behind the ad immediately, I just saw a woman looking wrecked and a figure in the background to heighten the shame factor, immediately took the text as being literal and alluding to rape too.

I think they have a point. I took it to be her mother in the background and that the girl was attacked because she was drunk. I see it differently having read the explanation but it is far from obvious.
    Did you think the implication was her mother attacked her? Surely the "following in your footsteps" bit would make it obvious it's referring to the person skilfully framed in the photo behind her?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭valoren

When you drink too much and lose control, you're not aware of who is 'following in your footsteps' thus you are more liable to be assaulted or raped when you lose control because all men are potential rapists?

Is that their angle here or what?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭arayess

"Who's following in your footsteps? Out of control drinking has consequences" could certainly be interpreted as implying something along those lines, especially when the child in the background is out of focus. I definitely didn't get the actual idea behind the ad immediately, I just saw a woman looking wrecked and a figure in the background to heighten the shame factor, immediately took the text as being literal and alluding to rape too.

you know even if it did allude to rape - I don't see why that's a bad thing.
    Or victim blaming.

Excessive drinking does make you more prone to attack and rape. Its' common sense. It's not victim blaming to point this out.
    To me it's common sense - be in control and you'll be safer than somebody who it's pissed out of their mind.

The rapist is clearly wrong but to say people shouldn't stay safe is naive.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

arayess wrote: »
    you know even if it did allude to rape - I don't see why that's a bad thing.
    Or victim blaming.

Excessive drinking does make you more prone to attack and rape. Its' common sense. It's not victim blaming to point this out.
    To me it's common sense - be in control and you'll be safer than somebody who it's pissed out of their mind.

The rapist is clearly wrong but to say people should stay safe is naive.

Oh ho ho, you're gonna go far here :pac:

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,025 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

the_monkey wrote: »

Mod

This isn't a news dump OP - maybe give more of an opinion that "ridiculous" next time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Looking at it closely, is there another angle or photo that isn't shown? Nothing there that I can see to suggest or imply that the young lady was attacked, just the usual wear and tear from a few too many on a night out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

I took it to be "she's a drunken mess" and her younger sister is liable be influenced by her.

Nowhere did I see anything alluding to rape or assault. It'd be different if it showed her waking up somewhere strange with her knickers on the floor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

OP can you define 'PC gone mad' and show how it applies to this issue?

Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭NachoBusiness

• Registered Users Posts: 40,214 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

I agree. It went completely over my head too.

rockets tend to do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Dramatik

Thought this was going to be about some annoying add on the radio.

"Come on down to PC Madness! We've literally gone mad with huge savings on our full range of laptops, you'd be mad to miss it..."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Magico Gonzalez

Dramatik wrote: »
    Thought this was going to be about some annoying add on the radio.

"Come on down to PC Madness! We've literally gone mad with huge savings on our full range of laptops, you'd be mad to miss it..."

15% discount if you bring a copy of the liberal agenda or for card carrying members of the PC Brigade.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭The Strawman Argument

Didn't see the full sized image until just there, the figure in the background is more pronounced there so it does get its point across more. I still think it warrants criticism though.

The whole campaign's pretty terrible by the looks of it*. I've attached two I got from their website. All I can see these doing is influencing parody ones on facebook...

* (sigh) just to clarify, I mean it's nothing but a big gigantic waste of time where Diageo can get a pat on the back safe in the knowledge that it's not gonna harm their income one bit.

Didn't see the full sized image until just there, the figure in the background is more pronounced there so it does get its point across more. I still think it warrants criticism though.

The whole campaign's pretty terrible by the looks of it. I've attached two I got from their website. All I can see these doing is influencing parody ones on facebook...
    Oh my God that guy is obviously performing oral sex on that toilet!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Looking at it closely, is there another angle or photo that isn't shown? Nothing there that I can see to suggest or imply that the young lady was attacked, just the usual wear and tear from a few too many on a night out.

I think it's simply about setting an example, there's even a tag line down the bottom right.

The rape crisis people read something into it that's not there.

• Advertisement

The ad is very vague. It could be interpreted in a number of ways.
    I didn't see any direct implication of rape myself but it's pretty poor to have an ad this vague if it's for a campaign that's supposed to have a clear message.

Advertisement