Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to stop chlorine irritation of scalp?

Options
  • 12-03-2015 3:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭

Chlorine is irritating my scalp, what can be done to prevent it?

I started back swimming 3 months ago, 3 times a week.
    Have silicone swim cap and also I rinse hair out before entering pool.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭biomed32

Good shower after the swim and a decent shampoo

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭n1st

biomed32 wrote: »
    Good shower after the swim and a decent shampoo

Something more than that required. This is what Ive been doing and more.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭biomed32

You may just be more sensitive to the chlorine, I swim 5-6 days per week and have not had any trouble other then some dry skin. Have you tried coal tar or neutrogena t-gel shampoo?

• Registered Users Posts: 28 STintin

Apply coconut oil over your body well before entering swimming pool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭MrWalsh

Is skin anywhere else being irritated? Could it be the silicone swim cap irritating your scalp and not the chlorine?

• Advertisement

Its really just the scalp. hands are dry too. a couple of hives on the legs to but the scalp is pretty bad, itchy, hives. Could be the silicon cap, I'm on my second one.

I haven't tried any particular shampoos except non perfumed ones which the doctor recommended.

I heard coconut oil is great but for afterwards.

Are you male or female - and how tight is the silicon cap?

Sorry - just trying to ascertain if its because your head is sensitive to the silicon or is it that your head cant breathe under the silicon so could be getting a build up of sweaty head which in turn is leading to itchy scalp.

Either way - try a cloth cap and see if there is any improvement.

Another thing to try is an antihistamine after the swim.

MrWalsh wrote: »
    Are you male or female - and how tight is the silicon cap?

Sorry - just trying to ascertain if its because your head is sensitive to the silicon or is it that your head cant breathe under the silicon so could be getting a build up of sweaty head which in turn is leading to itchy scalp.

Either way - try a cloth cap and see if there is any improvement.

Another thing to try is an antihistamine after the swim.

Male.
    Cap seems tight but water still gets in. I'll try the cloth cap.

n1st wrote: »
    Male.
    Cap seems tight but water still gets in. I'll try the cloth cap.

Is the skin more irritated around the sides of the cap? Or just in the scalp itself?

You cant ever keep your head dry in the water but as you are male, if your hair is very short you could rub a barrier on the head (like vaseline), then put on the cap, then wash out the barrier afterwards.

But if its because your head cant breathe that wont help.

interesting, actually the skin at my temples just beyong the scalp are sometime agitated too. You could be on the right track maybe the silicon cap is stopping the skin breathing.

I may try the cloth cap first.
    The vaseline and cloth cap.

• Advertisement

n1st wrote: »
    interesting, actually the skin at my temples just beyong the scalp are sometime agitated too. You could be on the right track maybe the silicon cap is stopping the skin breathing.

I may try the cloth cap first.
    The vaseline and cloth cap.

Yeah try that. I am mildly allergic to silicon and will develop itchy/rash/hives in an area that it touches my skin if the exposure is prolonged. Not had it with my swimming cap but Im female and a lot of hair so the hair is protecting my scalp from being touched - but around the sides can get itchy.

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Freddio

STintin wrote: »
    Apply coconut oil over your body well before entering swimming pool.
    Can I ask how that might help the op's plight?

Chlorine is a bleach, so it's very possible that that's what might be causing it. If you live in Dublin you could try a few sessions in sportsco as its an ozone pool or UCD which is a uv pool. They are both members based places but there are clubs using both you could tag along with.

Any oil you put on your body is just going to wash into the pool as soon as you get in. Either that or block up pores on your body that would regulate your temperature/sweating system as you train

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭cassid

I switch shampoos throughout the week but will use coal tar at least twice. it stinks but stops me getting dry hair. I also use a spray conditioner on my hair before I put my hat on.

Advertisement