Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Numbness post jaw surgery?

Options
  • 12-03-2015 2:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭

Hi all

Exactly a month ago (Thursday 12th Feb) I underwent lower jaw surgery to correct my bite (slight open bite on one side, even after a few years of orthodontistry). I think the medical term is mandible osteotomy (?), the lower jaw was cut on both sides and slightly repositioned.

My recovery and healing have been good since then. The tissue swelling is almost entirely gone (but the bone is still slightly swollen, on one side in particular). I had metal screws on both sides which had been used with elastic bands to anchor the mouth closed, but they were taken out on Tuesday last, and I have a few soft elastics hooked to the braces instead.

My main concern is the numbness of my chin. I have been told varying reports of how long it will last, going from 6 weeks.. to a few months.. to 12-18 months(!). I also got the 'worst case scenario' spiel before the op that there could be permanent numbness, but afterwards they said they didn't damage/cut the nerve during the process.

In my opinion it has improved a lot in the month since the surgery, in the week after the op the whole of my lower face was numb, lips, jawline.. everything. Now it is just below the lips and the chin itself. Sometimes it's just numb and sometimes it's pins and needles.

Do any of the learned people on this forum have an accurate timeline of how long it should last? And more importantly is there any way to speed up the un-numbing process?

Thanks in advance for any info. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭Dixie Chick

Hi there,

Hope you are feeling well after the surgery. I had a bi-max (double jaw) 4 years ago so I am talking more from my experience.

At just one month, I honestly would not worry about numbness. There is a lot of inward swelling and repair going on so do not panic.

I had numbness that lasted about a month in my chin and 6 months in my upper lip but it all came back. I suppose my point is that its all personal but please don't stress as it is normal.

Are you happy with your new bite?

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Inkyhead

Hi Dixie Chick

Thanks for your response. It's great to hear from someone that's been through it (and worse).

I'm optimistic to hear that the numbness in your chin only lasted a month! Having said that I guess it depends on the person and the procedure.

I'm not stressed as such - it's just more of a hindrance to feel like a drooling idiot, even though it's not majorly visible to others. For those who havent been through the operation think of a standard injection from your dentist, but one that doesn't go away.

I'm happy with the alignment of the bite at least, yep! Guess I can't comment on the bigger picture and the end result until the numb sensation, swelling and braces are gone though.

I'm still intrigued to know if there's anything I can do to speed up getting rid of the numbness, maybe not.

Advertisement