Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What?

Options
  • 12-03-2015 12:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,410 ✭✭✭✭

If you can't understand someone do you keep saying what or just nod your head and hope for the best?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭Polo_Mint

I say Sorry?

kneemos wrote: »
    If you can't understand someone do you keep saying what or just nod your head and hope for the best?

First one...then the other.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

kneemos wrote: »
    I usually ask, "what the fúck are you shíteíng on about?"

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

I'd just start a pointless thread instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I usually say something like "sorry, I didn't understand that, could you go through it again". It's hardly rocket science to ask someone to explain or repeat something. What's the point in dumbly nodding if you haven't a clue as to what's being said to you?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭NachoBusiness

Not if I'm talking to Jules Winnfield I don't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭5rtytry56

I see another gugleguy type poo thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Tilly

You start a lot of threads.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭dirkmeister

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Saralee4

There's a rule isn't there? Something like you can only say 'what', 'pardon' or whatever 3 times then you just have to nod!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Valetta

Come again?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

In order:
    Sorry, what?
    Could you repeat that?
    Say that again for me.

And finally: F**k off.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

"Yoo fúcking wha', mate!?!"

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

I start a thread in AH or Feedback.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,229 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Tilly wrote: »
    You start a lot of threads.

And not a good one amongst them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Fat Christy

It drives me bonkers when I'm talking to someone, especially on the phone and I can't understand them. Not to sound racist but heavy Cork/Kerry accents and people from Asia/India....nope, can not understand a word. Not all of them but the ones with really strong accents.
    I ask them to repeat and it's like they say it faster the second time for the lulz. I eventually just give up and tell them I cannot understand a word they are saying....

I had a guy from Japan on this morning 'Oh herro' :pac: That's all I understood...the rest was pure mumbo, jumbo jibberish so I asked him to send me an email. I spent about 10 minutes spelling out the email address. "'L' for rat?" Ahahaha. I still haven't received that email. *scratches head*

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

If it's just small talk in passing, I'd just nod away... if I'm involved in an actual conversation I'd ask to repeat if I misheard them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Saralee4

I used to know a girl that we would see on nights out, and she would always start talking to you in a nightclub and you couldn't hear a word. She kind of had a slur to her voice.

At the end of every sentence she would say 'you know what I mean like' , after every single sentence and that was all I heard and that was my cue to nod and smile although sometimes she gave me a few funny looks because there was probably a need for a response from what she was saying :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Fat Christy

The awkward moment when you have been nodding away, smiling and they ask you a question. This happens more so with people who talk at me and I get bored and start daydreaming. My flatmate just talks at me....for ages and I'd be agreeing away, hoping that she'd eventually shut up.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭Kevin McCloud

Its a trivial annoyance the what.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

My first day in college, I was out for a stroll about the place and bumped into a guy I recognised from one of the morning intro's we had.
    So we gave each other the nod, I said hello and he started talking.
    I didn't understand a f*cking word he said. After repeated 'what's' I just told him. He then slowed down is speed of talking and cut out the thickness of his accent and that was grand.
    Turns out he was asking me to play a football match. I did.
    Still mates with him today. Rarely understand him.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

I deal with a guy in work from the cork/kerry region. May as well be a fúcking martian - I usually tell him my phone is acting up, can you text me. It's the only way I can understand what the hell he's saying. Our face to face converstaions are 80% guess work!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭Baron Kurtz

I usually say something like "sorry, I didn't understand that, could you go through it again". It's hardly rocket science to ask someone to explain or repeat something. What's the point in dumbly nodding if you haven't a clue as to what's being said to you?

True, but a bit of a perfect Boards answer (always very measured, but in reality it's not what happened) there. Circumstances can vary and it may not always necessitate that - mostly you just get the jist and there's no need.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

True, but a bit of a perfect Boards answer (always very measured, but in reality it's not what happened) there. Circumstances can vary and it may not always necessitate that - mostly you just get the jist and there's no need.

:confused: it's certainly what has happened on occasion.
    Of course if you get the gist then you understand and would neither ask for clarification nor nod inanely.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭fxotoole

"In the quiet words of the Virgin Mary..........come again?"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

Not if I'm talking to Jules Winnfield I don't.

I dare you. I double dare you motherf*cker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

fxotoole wrote: »
    "In the quiet words of the Virgin Mary..........come again?"

Mohammed I'm hard Fackin bruce lee

Advertisement