Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Two new services

Options
  • 12-03-2015 11:36am
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,310 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Today on irishgenealogynews.ie I see a new service being offered by Timeline Research where they can source documents in Dublin for those who can't travel there themselves. A fine idea but their website states that they charge €19 for civil records which can already be ordered from home for €4. A bit steep methinks.

The other thing I came across on the Who Do You Think You Are Live website. It's called Rootsbid and the idea is that people who need research done in the land of their ancestors but can't travel post their project on Rootsbid and interested parties from the relevant country can bid for the work. I think it's an good idea and it will be interesting to see if it takes off.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

I agree the former sounds a bit steep but people are put off by the archaic ordering system. Most people don't have a fax machine now, and don't realise they can easily turn their computer into one.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Waitsian

pinkypinky wrote: »
    ...they can easily turn their computer into one.

Oh? Do tell please. :)

Is it by using something like MyFax or Windows Scan and Fax? I thought the latter needed a dial-up modem, and sure who nowadays has that?!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

It's a good idea and a neat interface, and a euro cheaper than official HSE online system for BMD certs - plus they use Paypal - so should alleviate the credit card concerns for most people

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Coolnabacky1873

Sites like that Rootsbid one can be good for the pros. I used to use a similar one here in the US, Genealogy Freelancers, and would get a nice bit of business from it. Don't know if Rootsbid has the same feature, but what makes GF work well is that it has an escrow facility - the money is held and not released until both parties are happy.

Re the new cert service - if people don't know or care that there is a 4euro option then the pros are entitled to charge whatever they like to get certs on people's behalf, of course, it has to be a price point that people are willing to pay.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,310 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Re the new cert service - if people don't know or care that there is a 4euro option then the pros are entitled to charge whatever they like to get certs on people's behalf, of course, it has to be a price point that people are willing to pay.

I know caveat emptor always applies but surely such gross overcharging (a Euro short of five times the price) only re-enforces the notion of rip-off Ireland.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

I think it's the other type of records that will be most useful to people outside Ireland

afaik Ancestry charges about £23 for England/Wales certs... they cost c £9 from their GRO

• Registered Users Posts: 42 KK Supercats

There are plenty of other pro genealogists in Ireland who offer a BMD cert collection service for anything from €12-€15. €19 seems steep for order and collection.

Advertisement