Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Speaking Russian in the Baltic States

Options
  • 12-03-2015 1:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭

I'm planning on visiting Riga and Tallinn soon. Unfortunately I don't know any Latvian or Estonian yet, but I can speak a fair bit of Russian and I understand that both cities have a large Russian speaking population.

Thing is, I don't know the formalities of a bilingual city. Ordering food or asking directions on the street, how will I know which language to use? Is it dependent on the area? I want to avoid using English as much as possible on my trip also.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,171 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Among older people, some will only speak Russian, among the young it may be more Latvian or Estonia. Anyone involved in tourism will speak enough Russian to help. Unless you come across one of the militant language activists you should have no problems at all. Have a great time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭cailinoBAC

I think in Tallinn and Riga should be fine, you can get by without but it did come in handy to have Russian from time to time. My first time in Vilnius on the other hand, 11 years ago and when my friend spoke Russian to the girl working in our hostel she told us she'd prefer to speak English.

Advertisement