Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car Explosions.

Options
  • 11-03-2015 11:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,411 ✭✭✭✭

Do cars explode on impact or is it purely a Hollywood gimmick?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,424 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Huh?

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭Kevin McCloud

Depends if the reserve light is on or off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,711 ✭✭✭C.K Dexter Haven

Depends if the reserve light is on or off.

Is that an architectural extra?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭sheesh

depends what they hit. tree, wall, you're fine.

Is that an architectural extra?

Look at you with your grand thoughts.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭Sheep Lover

If real life was like Hollywood films I'd have blown up half a dozen times on the way to the shop today

• Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭Mr_Muffin

Yeah mate i seen a car go full speed into a petrol station and light into flames so they must.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

Your threads are weird

Your threads are weird

Op watching too much Judge Judy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,711 ✭✭✭C.K Dexter Haven

Look at you with your grand thoughts.
    bet you went over budget too!!!:P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

A thread about car explosions and no video..disappointing!

Fun fact;

There's a drink called an irish car bomb, all the mericans were drinking them when I was there for paddy's day last year. Bottom of a pint class full of guinness and a shot glass of baileys dropped into it then downed in one.

Needless to say, I did not have one of those concoctions.

There's a drink called an irish car bomb, all the mericans were drinking them when I was their for paddy's day last year. Bottom of a pint class full of guinness and a shot glass of baileys dropped into it then downed in one.

That sounds like a good cure for constipation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

Mythbusters will answer your questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Paramite Pie

This is hardly a serious question??

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

I think there were some Fords back in the 70's that had the petrol tanks fairly exposed, and they tended to burst into flames when rear ended.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭donegaLroad

petrol car: yes, if the petrol tank is ruptured on impact and there is something to cause the petrol to ignite.. sparks etc.

diesel car: no, unless there are explosives in the boot. Diesel does not ignite like petrol.

*explosives in the boot would also cause the petrol car to explode.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭reprise

petrol car: yes, if the petrol tank is ruptured on impact and there is something to cause the petrol to ignite.. sparks etc.

diesel car: no, unless there are explosives in the boot. Diesel does not ignite like petrol.

*explosives in the boot would also cause the petrol car to explode.

Electric: no
    LPG: Watch her fly!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

Tried blowing up a couple of cars once.

Burnt the lips off the exhaust

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭Desolation Of Smug

On another note, it's probably just me that isn't surprised that loads of mercs, beemers and Range Rovers are registered "dodgy" for tax and paying waay less than they should. Ireland, where even taxing the car is ripe for a stroke if you have the money.

Fun fact;

There's a drink called an irish car bomb, all the mericans were drinking them when I was there for paddy's day last year. Bottom of a pint class full of guinness and a shot glass of baileys dropped into it then downed in one.

I think thats the same as a Belfast car bomb. There's an Irish bar in St Michel in Paris that serves them. I never noticed it in the few months I lived there until a group of contractors from Belfast that I worked with pointed it out not long before i moved home. They took offence for a while until the barman starting dishing them out for free. I...also...did not have one of those free concoctions.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,987 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

kneemos wrote: »

Pure hollywood for the most part. But petrol fumes can certainly ignite and explode under the right conditions. The ignition temp of petrol is about 240 degrees Celsius. Petrol is quite hard to blow up in its liquid form, but the fumes are a different story.

However...LPG car \/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,729 ✭✭✭dmc17

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

kneemos wrote: »

No idea. Cool guys don't look at explosions.:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 20,176 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

InTheTrees wrote: »
    I think there were some Fords back in the 70's that had the petrol tanks fairly exposed, and they tended to burst into flames when rear ended.

The Ford Pinto. In 1977 is came to light that the tank was mounted between the back axle and the bumper, and could be punctured in a shunt by differential bolts. It wasn't an unusual design "feature" at the time, but was particularly problematic in a small rear-drive hatchback. The Pinto's safety record was about on par with other "subcompacts" of the vintage, American and otherwise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 768 ✭✭✭SpaceSasqwatch

Your threads are weirdsh1te
    FYP :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭Hoop66

jimgoose wrote: »
    The Ford Pinto. In 1977 is came to light that the tank was mounted between the back axle and the bumper, and could be punctured in a shunt by differential bolts. It wasn't an unusual design "feature" at the time, but was particularly problematic in a small rear-drive hatchback. The Pinto's safety record was about on par with other "subcompacts" of the vintage, American and otherwise.

And didn't Ford do a cost analysis of what it cost to fix v cost of lawsuits and decide it wasn't worth fixing? Or is that an urban myth?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,176 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Hoop66 wrote: »
    And didn't Ford do a cost analysis of what it cost to fix v cost of lawsuits and decide it wasn't worth fixing? Or is that an urban myth?

Yes it is, Ford had nothing to do with that. The memo in question was written by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, regarding liability arising out of fuel fires from a few kinds of impact in cars from all the major American manufacturers. What kicked the whole thing off that time was the emergence of the practice of placing an actual dollar-value on human life, which had been kept largely under wraps by industry generally until the Pinto episode.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Fun fact;

We should put sambuca in to tall glasses, see how they would like that in New York.

'Can I have a couple of flaming towers please'

Advertisement