Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Resignation not accepted?

Options
  • 11-03-2015 10:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hello,

Two weeks ago I rang my boss to give notice (as I don't see my boss very regularly) we got cut short due to bad signal and he said he'd ring me back later.

After the phone initial phone call I also sent him an official letter of resignation via email.

His only acknowledgement of this was a text saying he would not accept it until he traveled to me to have a chat within the next week.

I have yet to see him two weeks later!

My initially letter gave the full 4 weeks notice that I am contract bound to give.

Can I still leave without legal consequence on the date given in the initial email?

Any help appreciated!

Thanks in advance! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭babaracus

What are they going to do? Take you to court and sue you? Wish them the best of luck and move on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

Simply put, Yes. An employer can't refuse a resignation. Your Boss is simply being quite nice and wants a chat before you go, by not 'accepting' the resignation if he managed to keep you there was no question of you leaving, if he doesn't then you simply leave at the end of the notice period you originally gave.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,674 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

As MarkAnthony said. AFAIK, only one case has occurred for an egregious breach of the notice period of an employment contract. But remember that most industries are small communities, so best to leave on best terms.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭eezipc

I've had similar happen to me before. You gave your resignation by phone and in writing so legally you are good to go.
    However, I would imagine your boss does not want you to go and probably wants to meet up with you and talk you out of it. A pay rise may also be on the cards. So, depending on your situation, it might be worth it to hear him out first.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

I worked for a large retail chain and gave my notice in in August last year, I gave them three weeks. Only on my last day did they bring me in to ask me about why I was leaving and wished me well .

It was like ..... Bring on the next meatball

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 42 IWillFindYou

He can "not accept" it all he likes, but he's still legally bound to the terms contained in your contract. He's already acknowledged receipt of your notice, so from a legal standpoint there will be no consequences. If they don't issue your p45 then get onto revenue.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

I'd drop him a polite email reminding him that you are finishing on X date if he want to chat face to face before you leave it would be prudent to set a time and date before then.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

gandalf wrote: »
    I'd drop him a polite email reminding him that you are finishing on X date if he want to chat face to face before you leave it would be prudent to set a time and date before then.

This. If the boss was serious about keeping you, they would have made an effort to speak to you sooner rathe than later. At the very least they would have met you before you got a chance to look around for a new job.

Lots of smiles and thanks for all the great experience you gained and great people you had the pleasure to work with and leave on the agreed date.

Advertisement