Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Only have DOB, and hosp name ? how should I search at GRO ?

Options
  • 11-03-2015 4:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭

Hi. Just wondering if anyone would advise how to start a search at the GRO office if I only have my Date of Birth and the hospital name ? Is there any point trying ? I don't have any "non-idenitfying" information so I'm not sure will I get any matches.

I'm not sure which book/ records I should ask for when I get up to the desk. I plan on doing this search some time in April as I'll have some time off.

Thanks for any advice.,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭Sun in Capri

Hi OP.

You ask for the book for the year of your birth. Depending on when you were born they may go be dobs or just by quarters. If they do go by dobs you would get the list of people born on that day in that hospital and narrow it down as follows:
    Male or Female
    People whos second name is the same second name as the Mothers. This indicates that they could be adopted.

You could end up with a long list.

Is it not possible for you to obtain your non identifying information? If you could get this from say the Adoption Agency it would give your your first birth name and this would help.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,313 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

If they do go by dobs you would get the list of people born on that day in that hospital...

The hospital name isn't contained in the index book as far as I know.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I am pretty sure it was.
    I noted all entries with out fathers names on them .

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,313 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Moonbeam wrote: »
    I am pretty sure it was.
    I noted all entries with out fathers names on them .

In the index books?
    Is it not just names, dates and reg district?

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Ghekko

I think reg district also. You might have to order copies of the entries at the desk in order to see exact place of birth. Definitely try to get the non identifying info first. It would narrow your search a lot. You might be given bm first name also and this would then show on the copy of birth record.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭kathy finn

hi hospital name will not be in books, just reg district. if you were born in dublin you might get quite a few. pre 1966 books dont give date of birth just qtr of year.

Advertisement