Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it possible to insure your equipment?

Options
  • 11-03-2015 1:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭

Hi, I've never considered doing this before but someone suggested I get insurance for my photography equipment and I am wondering can it be done and is it costly?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

If you are professional you can get cover for gear. It's often bundled in with Public Liability and Professional Indemnity.

As an amateur your gear is normally covered under your household insurance. Check your policy and see what is covered and maybe consider adding items of high value. If you are travelling then it can also be covered on Travel Insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

I have mine covered on my household contents. I've got an added all risks/personal items policy up to AU$20,000. It covers any personal items (so for me its bikes, computers and camera stuff) up to the value of $20,000 for any loss, theft, accidental damage anywhere. So if it gets stolen from your car, providing it was securely locked, its covered etc...

Gives peace of mind.

Back in Ireland I had household contents with the all risks policy through AIB home insurance.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Paulw

camerainsurance.ie - the best place to go or talk to Balfey1972

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Balfey1972

Give me a call in the office on 01 8408060 and we can get you a quote.

You can insure your equipment only and add liability and professional indemnity cover if also required.

Folks just make sure no matter who you are insured with that you total your equipment on a new for old basis. if you have an old mk1 lens or body that has been replaced you need to base it on the replacement sum insured. Make sure to include the usual lenses and bodies but also filters, batteries, triggers, flashes, the bag, tripod, plates, and all other accessories. It can add quite a bit to what you thought the total bag value was.

If the wife knew what the real value of the equipment was, I'd be in trouble !!!!

If you are using your equipment professionally make sure your insurers are aware. I know of one person recently who had a claim turned down because they insurers found a blog where the person in question said that he had prints for sale. They turned the claim down because of this.

I had my own camera bag taken from the boot of my car 8 weeks ago so I know the claims process first hand unfortunately.

ps. mention boards and I can allow a 20% discount off our standard equipment rate.

Derek.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

Balfey1972 wrote: »
    ps. mention boards and I can allow a 20% discount off our standard equipment rate.

Derek.

Fecker! You never told me that when I was getting mine. I'll be after your bones when it comes up for renewal :D

• Advertisement

Fecker! You never told me that when I was getting mine. I'll be after your bones when it comes up for renewal :D

I'll make sure the file is noted ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭Ben D Bus

If you're relying on your home insurance, you will want to check if there is an excess on the policy.

Ben D Bus wrote: »
    If you're relying on your home insurance, you will want to check if there is an excess on the policy.

Ben D Bus you are right, however most policies will have an excess of some sort. Make sure it is per claim and not per item in the event of a claim.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭mrboswell

+1 for Derek and camerainsurance.ie. Very hassle free to deal with.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭mystic86

Sorry for bringing up a 3 month old thread, but I totally forgot to post here back in April.

I rang Derek to book insurance at very short notice (a day or two before a trip abroad) and he sorted me out with with insurance for my Camera plus all my camera gear, and also my laptop (which I use for processing) for a very reasonable price (including the boards discount) and was very helpful over the phone, a lot clearer and more transparent than most insurers with regards the limitations of the cover and the subtle requirements that can affect a claim being awarded or not.

Cheers Derek! :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement