Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rip Offs

Options
  • 11-03-2015 12:51am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭

So had a great lecture last week in Intellectual Property where we just sat round listening to rippoffs. Saw today that there's been a case of Marvin Gaye being ripped off. What ripoffs do you know?

This one stunned me - The verve were sued over Bitter Sweet Symphony:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭Wide Load

Led Zeppelin were some lads for it back in the day!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

The other one that get's me is the Ghostbusters theme tune was a rippoff!

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Depraved

Hey I was about to make a thread about this, but now I can't because you'll take me to court for copying your content!

Damn you to hell!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭donegaLroad

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,276 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭Mint Aero

I've never heard that OP. Always thought the verve had a cracker there but now that I've heard the original it's sooooo much better. Hate when people murder classics

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭donegaLroad

So had a great lecture last week in Intellectual Property where we just sat round listening to rippoffs. Saw today that there's been a case of Marvin Gaye being ripped off. What ripoffs do you know?

This one stunned me - The verve were sued over Bitter Sweet Symphony:

the Verve got the permission of the Rolling Stones to use 'the riff' in Bitter Sweet Symphony... but when it hit the top of the charts, an ex manager of the Stones (forget his name) claimed he owned the rights of the Stone's material from that period and sued successfully.

Moral of the story.... write your own stuff and dont be a musical magpie, which is kind of difficult now because there isn't much music out there that sounds totally unique.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

Mint Aero wrote: »
    I've never heard that OP. Always thought the verve had a cracker there but now that I've heard the original it's sooooo much better. Hate when people murder classics

It's my favourite song, has a bit of an outburst of disbelief that entertained a few in the front row!

This got played by way of a bit of comic relief at the end!

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Got stung by a bee once.

€15 for a jar of poxy honey. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭johnny osbourne

i'd sell my granny for $500,000

ok ok 200,000

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Aenaes

Johnny Cash took Crescent City Blues and made it Folsom Prison Blues. He changed some words and the boom-chicka-boom sound is different but he ended up paying $75,000 (estimated, I think) in an out of court settlement.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

There's a similarity between the music from Gladiator and Mars, Bringer of War, by Gustav Holst:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Most Irish Trad songs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

My Town by Glass Tiger and Sometimes Love Just Ain't Enough by Patty Smith and Don't Henley are eerily similar.

Advertisement