Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Notice period when renting a room from an owner-occupier

Options
  • 10-03-2015 10:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭

I am renting a room from an owner occupier. I've been here for over a year and never signed a contract. What notice period would I have to give before I have to move out legally.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,691 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

None.

But the convention is usually that you give your rent-period, ie one week if you pay weekly, one month if you pay monthly.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭yellowbear

None.

But the convention is usually that you give your rent-period, ie one week if you pay weekly, one month if you pay monthly.

Thanks for the quick response. Is this in writing on the citizens information website or someplace. I looked before I posted this but couldn't find anything. My rent period is a month but I'd rather leave in two weeks for other reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Do you get on with the owner? It really comes down to that, as if you don't, and give a months notice, they may just find a replacement, and give you 24 hours notice. If you do get on with the landlord, they'd appreciate the notice. If you live with an owner occupier, you have no tenant rights, as you're a licensee.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭yellowbear

the_syco wrote: »
    Do you get on with the owner? It really comes down to that, as if you don't, and give a months notice, they may just find a replacement, and give you 24 hours notice. If you do get on with the landlord, they'd appreciate the notice. If you live with an owner occupier, you have no tenant rights, as you're a licensee.
    Yeah I don't get on with her. Gave my notice today and would rather move out as soon as possible. She said she'd put a daft ad up tomorrow but cant show the place till next week. I don't trust her to do it at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

yellowbear wrote: »
    Yeah I don't get on with her. Gave my notice today and would rather move out as soon as possible. She said she'd put a daft ad up tomorrow but cant show the place till next week. I don't trust her to do it at all.

Well that's her problem, expect to have issues with your deposit as well.

• Advertisement
Advertisement