Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Three 4G - anyone receiving it in a rural area?

Options
  • 10-03-2015 10:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭

my local mast is supposed to do 4G according to three's map. it doesn't. It's not my phone as the phone receives 4G fine when I'm at work or in my nearest town. Not gettng any sense out of three - so is their map a lie? has anyone received 4G in a rural area ? thanks for your replies...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭galljga1

imogen wrote: »
    my local mast is supposed to do 4G according to three's map. it doesn't. It's not my phone as the phone receives 4G fine when I'm at work or in my nearest town. Not gettng any sense out of three - so is their map a lie? has anyone received 4G in a rural area ? thanks for your replies...

Hi Imogen

Where are you? there is very little 4G outside major urban areas and the maps provided by all suppliers tend to overstate the coverage available.
    Check out Comreg's siteviewer page, again not 100%reliable.

http://www.askcomreg.ie/mobile/siteviewer.273.LE.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭imogen

yes, I've checked the Comreg map (I'm south of Carrigaline). It's a bit Irish this just letting the operators lie on their coverage maps, isn't it? comreg only shows 3G but three's Map claims 4G. so it's wait til 2020 then, is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭galljga1

yes, I've checked the Comreg map (I'm south of Carrigaline). It's a bit Irish this just letting the operators lie on their coverage maps, isn't it? comreg only shows 3G but three's Map claims 4G. so it's wait til 2020 then, is it?

Hopefully not 2020. All operators are upgrading their networks. When a particular area will be upgraded is anyone's guess. Service here is brutal, lucky to get edge sometimes. You could raise a query with one of three's reps here on boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Roynie

I get it in west Clare, although according to the Vodafone's map we are just on the border of the 4G area.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭ShaunC

You probably can get 4G at your house but you would have to climb up on the roof of your house, stand on your chimney or climb your ariel, then hold your phone high up in the air and then check your signal, then if the conditions are favourable maybe just maybe you can get 4G:rolleyes:(Disclaimer I do not recommend you or anyone climb on a roof to check signal).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

Yeah, I live in the countryside 10 minutes from Ashbourne in a NE direction near a place called Oldtown and am capable of getting 4G with both THREE and Vodafone... not tried others.

Currently not at home, but I did post awhile ago of my speeds after getting a Huawei b593s-22 router that improved my connection a fair bit.

3715613040.png

I actually feel really sorry for the excellent reps they have on their forums - they are obviously not being given any proper information by three and their job must be no fun at all.

I contacted the three customer service reps by private message but getting the same old b/s ie that the mast CK0199 does do 4G (it does not and what's more has had one 3G transponder out of action for over a year which I've tried to report several times but gave up as I don't speak Bangalorese).

Good customer service would be them saying "sorry it doesn't do it yet but it's scheduled for upgrade on or before xx date". Or giving me a proper procedure to report that it's not doing 4G.

Sigh. My employer offers homeworking. That would save me 70 euros and 10 hours commuting a week. But because I only have bogband, I'm not going to be able to take up the offer in the foreseeable future.

Imogen

So now Three are claiming my iPhone 5 does not do the "right frequency" to pick up the rural mast although it picks up 4G in Carrigaline and at Apple perfectly ok. Anyone know what frequency/ which handsets would work with a three National Broadband Scheme mast for 4G?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

BeerWolf wrote: »
    Yeah, I live in the countryside 10 minutes from Ashbourne in a NE direction near a place called Oldtown and am capable of getting 4G with both THREE and Vodafone... not tried others.

Currently not at home, but I did post awhile ago of my speeds after getting a Huawei b593s-22 router that improved my connection a fair bit.

3715613040.png

Wait until your neighbours get it. We were one of the first areas to get Vodafone/Meteor 4G. Christmas 2013 on both networks up to 30mb. Can barely get 10mb+ these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭GIMP

So now Three are claiming my iPhone 5 does not do the "right frequency" to pick up the rural mast although it picks up 4G in Carrigaline and at Apple perfectly ok. Anyone know what frequency/ which handsets would work with a three National Broadband Scheme mast for 4G?

Three are correct, the Iphone 5 will only work on 1800mhz 4g, Three use 900mhz 4g in rural areas. It is a major failing of the IPhone 5 . This was rectified from the IPhone 5s release and sebsequent models.

• Advertisement

Thanks GIMP!
    Shame it took a week of messages to get half way near the truth from the three forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭jay93

Should be fine on a iPhone 5c too they added LTE bands to that model too

Advertisement