Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Faulty oven - just out of warranty

Options
  • 10-03-2015 10:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi there,

we were supplied with an oven as part of our house purchase just over 2 years ago. We know it was bought in the local electrical shop. Today the timer clock went kaput in it & this may result in the oven cutting out mid use!

Under the Sale of goods & supply of services act are we entitled to go back to the electrical shop & ask that they replace the timer clock? My understanding of the act is that goods should be 'fit for purpose' & you would expect an oven to be fully functioning for more than 2 years... Am I right?

The Beko warranty itself ran out December just gone, typically!!

Any advice would be very much appreciated, thanks in advance :-)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

You have absolutely no rights under the Sale of Goods and Supply of Services Act if you weren't the original buyer of the oven. If the oven was supplied with the house then you bought it from the seller of the house not the retailer.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Vanessa Shanessa Jenkins

slimjimmc wrote: »
    You have absolutely no rights under the Sale of Goods and Supply of Services Act if you weren't the original buyer of the oven.

Thanks so much for the quick response. Does this stand if we bought from the developer & he supplied the oven in a new house?

Thanks so much for the quick response. Does this stand if we bought from the developer & he supplied the oven in a new house?
    Yes. You have no contract with the retailer of the oven just like you have no contract with the carpenter who fitted the doors or the electricians who wired the house. You might try to chase the developer though but I haven't heard of anyone doing it.

Yes. You have no contract with the retailer of the oven just like you have no contract with the carpenter who fitted the doors or the electricians who wired the house.

Ah ok, thank you so much for the swift response. At least now we know where we stand!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,129 ✭✭✭rameire

try espares.co.uk

they are pretty good for parts.
    i have used them alot of times.
    may save you hassle, time and hardship if the warranty/retailer route does not end well

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Advertisement

You may have rights against the developer as he is the seller of the oven as part of an overall package. However you have no right to redress if the defect is minor and I believe a faulty oven timer would likely be considered a minor defect in the context of the overall purchase (house, fittings and appliances).

You may have rights against the developer as he is the seller of the oven as part of an overall package. However you have no right to redress if the defect is minor and I believe a faulty oven timer would likely be considered a minor defect in the context of the overall purchase (house, fittings and appliances).

Ugh have no desire to deal with the developer over something so minor, we have much bigger issues we're trying to address with him! Turns out it's just €60 for a replacement so we'll just suck it up :-)

Thanks again

Advertisement