Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

French polishing

Options
  • 10-03-2015 10:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭

ive French polished for the first time. I'd usually spray everything but was impressed with the finish I'd seen on a table so I decided I'd try replicate it. There's six coats on everything now and it's getting that high build shine. How many more will I need to getter pure glass finish and how best do I manage to keep it down the line.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,857 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

To get the high shine after the initial coats you reduce the amount of shellac being applied until it's almost straight meths your putting into the rubber, you will need to use a little oil at times also as a lot of friction is used at this stage, it's best to have something to practice on at each stage as the stakes get higher the nearer you get to the finish, never fill the rubber near the work as the smallest drop of the solution will dissolve the surface.
    To get the glass finish takes time as the shellac sinks into the wood grain over time no matter how well you fill the grain, looking good so far and best of luck with it, what will the table be used for

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭Miname

To get the high shine after the initial coats you reduce the amount of shellac being applied until it's almost straight meths your putting into the rubber, you will need to use a little oil at times also as a lot of friction is used at this stage, it's best to have something to practice on at each stage as the stakes get higher the nearer you get to the finish, never fill the rubber near the work as the smallest drop of the solution will dissolve the surface.
    To get the glass finish takes time as the shellac sinks into the wood grain over time no matter how well you fill the grain, looking good so far and best of luck with it, what will the table be used for

It's a dining table. I've been thinning down the coats alright. I put another two on today and it's glas sing up a bit each time. What's the best way to keep it, is a normal furnish polish going to blemish it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,857 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

A few coats of beeswax should help protect it, avoid any polish containing silicone . French polish with a little care is a durable finish and any blemishes or marks can be polished out in the future , nothing shows off the colour and grain of wood like French polish

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭peter bermingham

Ya the beeswax is the way to go to keep the shine. I must say that's a mighty bit of work looks really well

Advertisement