Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Healthy feckin' eatin'.

Options
  • 10-03-2015 9:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭

I'm the keeper of the house, and have to learn to cook some low cholesterol foods, now, after the housemate went to the doctor. The thing is, for all the nutritional information on food, there's nothing about cholesterol. I have no idea what the Hell it even is. How do I buy food that's good for low cholesterol? Why the fuck is this shit so difficult?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭Kevin McCloud

Macdonalds and diet coke op.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,394 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Feed him tubs of Flora.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,036 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

I'm the keeper of the house, and have to learn to cook some low cholesterol foods, now, after the housemate went to the doctor. The thing is, for all the nutritional information on food, there's nothing about cholesterol. I have no idea what the Hell it even is. How do I buy food that's good for low cholesterol? Why the fuck is this shit so difficult?

You're the keeper of a flatmate - is he your little brother or something? Give him and apple and cook yourself a fry up.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

'Keeper of the house'

Sounds like someone who does odd jobs for the fucking Queen of England.

Just feed them sardines OP. They're supposed to be frightfully good for ones cholesterol levels.

I hear good things about fish heads

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Aongus Von Bismarck

Oily fish, nuts, avocados - things like that. My own cholesterol hit 4.8 a number of years ago. This was despite regular exercise and a good diet where I avoided heavily processed food. I limited my intake of cheese, sausages, cured meats. My dietician told me that eggs were once considered a food that contributed to high cholesterol but that recent research has dispensed with that notion. So I'll have at least 6 eggs a week. I managed to get it down to 3.5 based on making these few changes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Bipolar Joe

She works, I cook and make the garden look awesome.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Arbitrary

My old man does this to manage his cholesterol, yeah I know how this reads, like one of those scam health emails you get in your spam box, but no word of lie the Doctor couldn't believe how quickly he brought down his cholesterol levels.

Bowl of porridge every morning with oat bran and take niacin. Simple and very effective (at least for my old man anyway).

• Registered Users Posts: 11,480 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

OP, are you aware of what lard is? You should cook everything, up to, and including toast, in it.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Egginacup

Is your flatmate a pisshead? If so the liver will spend more time trying to breakdown alcohol. Tell him to go on the dry for a month, buy a wok a just live on stir fried veg for dinner. Lash some fresh chicken in there too.

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭Miall108

Drink a few pints of chip oil. Very healthy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

Have you tried a google search? Not being funny, but Dr Google comes in useful for some stuff.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Lots of fruit and vegetables , limit red meat, cut out fatty foods, drink plenty of water. Aim to exercise for 30 mins, 5 times a week.

I had my cholesterol checked at the start of the year. Wasn't good. I've 6 months before I have to get it re checked. I've made a huge effort to change my diet. I've started eating vegetables I've never had before, some great recipes on BBC's Good Food website. I like to look at the vegetarian recipes and throw chicken or turkey in with it too. ( I have been very strict on no red meat in my diet).

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Lots of fruit and vegetables , limit red meat, cut out fatty foods, drink plenty of water. Aim to exercise for 30 mins, 5 times a week.

I had my cholesterol checked at the start of the year. Wasn't good. I've 6 months before I have to get it re checked. I've made a huge effort to change my diet. I've started eating vegetables I've never had before, some great recipes on BBC's Good Food website. I like to look at the vegetarian recipes and throw chicken or turkey in with it too. ( I have been very strict on no red meat in my diet).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I should get mine checked again

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Depraved

Haven't you heard? All food is bad for you in some way. And all food is good for you as well.

Just eat a varied diet, eat in moderation and get some exercise.
    The varied diet will ensure that you get everything your body needs.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Get up early in the morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

Might as well put him down.

My grandfather minds his cholesterol, although he thinks that for every unit of the good type he can have a unit of the bad type.

Advertisement