Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wisdom Tooth extraction - quick and easy?

Options
  • 10-03-2015 8:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭

So I had a long term phobia of dentists (thanks irish school dentists!) which is over and done with and I am finally getting my mouth into shape before starting orthodontic work in the summer (only 15 years late)

During my initial consult, my dentist said that I need to have a wisdom tooth removed. Today I had my final treatment (crown) and he took another x-ray of my wisdom tooth as that is all that is left to be done.

He said that I would be in and out of the surgery in 30 minutes and that mine was mercifully quick procedure and would be back to normal within a day or so

Is this a special case? I've read some horror stories and this sounded like a bit of plomas...though in honesty he has been a great dentist and I have no reason to think he's lying to me

What is the general opinion on this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,240 ✭✭✭Oral Surgeon

So I had a long term phobia of dentists (thanks irish school dentists!) which is over and done with and I am finally getting my mouth into shape before starting orthodontic work in the summer (only 15 years late)

During my initial consult, my dentist said that I need to have a wisdom tooth removed. Today I had my final treatment (crown) and he took another x-ray of my wisdom tooth as that is all that is left to be done.

He said that I would be in and out of the surgery in 30 minutes and that mine was mercifully quick procedure and would be back to normal within a day or so

Is this a special case? I've read some horror stories and this sounded like a bit of plomas...though in honesty he has been a great dentist and I have no reason to think he's lying to me

What is the general opinion on this?

Some wisdom teeth are easy, most are more difficult. Some dentists are good at removing them, some not so good...

Post the X-ray and we can generally tell you how easy/hard it was.... Then you can judge how much of a hero he was....!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭iusedtoknow

Some wisdom teeth are easy, most are more difficult. Some dentists are good at removing them, some not so good...

Post the X-ray and we can generally tell you how easy/hard it was.... Then you can judge how much of a hero he was....!!

:D

He's good at what he does - and i don't think he'd BS me. I was really surprised when he said 30 minutes and could drive home afterwards

:D

He's good at what he does - and i don't think he'd BS me. I was really surprised when he said 30 minutes and could drive home afterwards

Well it's been done was as quick as he said- in and out in no time, not much blood either

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

upper wisdom tooth?

upper wisdom tooth?

yep - upper left hand side (stage right)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

Upper wisdom teeth are often pretty easy. The more difficult ones are the lowers when they are jammed (impacted) into the bone. Good to hear you had a good experience and hopefully this will start a long relationship of prevention with your dentist.

Advertisement