Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

need ordinary maths for college?

Options
  • 10-03-2015 8:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭

doing the junior cert at the moment and didnt do well at all in maths ordinary level so was advised to do foundation level. do colleges require students to do ordinary for the leaving to enter the college or is foundation ok? i presume if i do foundation for junior then i will have to do it for leaving

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭blackbird 49

How badly did you do I presume you are talking about the mocks, I know this is not junior cert but my son is doing HL maths in his leaving cert, he failed his mocks maths but has decided to continue, if you feel you are really bad at maths and will definitely see no improvement and are happy to drop down do it but I would advise you (and it is only my opinion) to keep going on ordinary level, you can always drop on the morning of the exam in June, Most colleges do not except foundation maths , maybe depends on course you do, some you might get your points with a fetac PLC course, all schools are different but I would say that if you do foundation for junior cert you will have to do it for leaving cert.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 arcticthinker

Henwin wrote: »
    doing the junior cert at the moment and didnt do well at all in maths ordinary level so was advised to do foundation level. do colleges require students to do ordinary for the leaving to enter the college or is foundation ok? i presume if i do foundation for junior then i will have to do it for leaving

What kind Of subject do you want to study at third level? I can tell you whether orbit you need OL maths for it

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

What kind Of subject do you want to study at third level? I can tell you whether orbit you need OL maths for it
    The thing is, OP is only in JC year.

What s/he may be thinking of doing now may change several times before s/he starts college.

It's way too early to be closing doors, and a decision to take FL would close a fair few doors.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭blackbird 49

The thing is, OP is only in JC year.

What s/he may be thinking of doing now may change several times before s/he starts college.

It's way too early to be closing doors, and a decision to take FL would close a fair few doors.

I would agree with this

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭OriginV

It all depends on the course really Ordinary maths is mandatory for some course but not all.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,120 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Henwin wrote: »

Keep doing Maths at as high a level as possible. Try Ordinary for the Junior, even if you fail it, you still have a shot at OL in the Leaving. If you go to Foundation now, you've little to no chance of moving up later. It's a whole different type of questioning. Stick with as high a level as you can, regardless of how you think you'll do in the Junior, it's only the Junior after all.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

There aren't really any consequences of trying and failing OL maths at Junior Cert while dropping to FL may have a lot of consequences in the future, you don't know yet.

Taking FL maths is a serious decision and it leaves you with considerably less choices come CAO time. I agree with the others, keep it up to the highest level you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Paul.k.b.90

I was in the same boat as you when I was in school.. I failed OL maths for my JC mocks.. Kept at ordinary level and passed come exam time and managed to pass the LC paper as well. I was always terrible at maths but keep ur head down maybe do a few grinds and you'll be fine

Advertisement