Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Diet of Badgers,Pine Martin,Foxes.

Options
  • 10-03-2015 7:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭

Hi all,reckoned this would be best forum to ask this question on?,
    We have a child who has a habit of 'feeding the birds'....which basically means,when not seen scraps like bread,dinner leftovers make their way from the bin to the garden!
    My wife is a bit concerned as one night last week she missed the raw leftovers of a chicken carcass from the bin and on questioning our animal loving child admitted throwing it out 'for the birds'....OH checked where she had thrown it and it was gone,we live in rural setting and my OH would freak out if she thought badgers,foxes pine martins etc were candidates for taking it were that close to house,I know foxes eat meat but are badgers,pine martins etc also likely to have taken the chicken?
    ......thanks for any replies.
    Ps- have seen badgers on the road before and the occasional fox.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,440 ✭✭✭Markcheese

When I first read the heading I though you were on an illegal diet :)
    Ahhmm probably going to have a lot of smaller rodenty type wildlife inhabiting your garden for a bit - foxes would happily scavenge if they're around- but rural foxes tend to be a lot more wary of people- have you many cats or dogs in the area ?

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭Western Pomise

We have a dog,he has run of garden but can't go any further,have one of those collars on him,so no cats around and have mouse/rat bait down carefully on the garage so I would rule out rodents as we keep them looked after.Would badgers eat meat do you know,it's usually bread that our 'nature lover' leaves out:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

To be honest, there are many things it could have been. You own dog is a suspect. Even if you don't see any, it could be a cat. Fox is possible long before I'd jump to the conclusion of a badger or pine martin. If you don't see foxes in the garden then you wouldn't see a cat either. Even crows could have taken it.

Generally, leaving out leftovers is not a good idea as it attracts rodents. Poison in a garage will not deter rats in the garden - especially if you are rural.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭Western Pomise

Thanks for the replies,our dog is kept in at night so couldn't have taken the chicken,reason I suspect Badgers is there are some in the area....still not clear though are badgers carnivorous?
    Have seen the odd pinemartin about too,not easy to stop our determined bird feeder from sneaking stuff out!;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Badgers, Foxes and Pine Martins will all eat carrion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭wildlifeboy

I have seen badgers catch and kill rabbits so it could have been them too. it could have been any number of species to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,440 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Thanks for the replies,our dog is kept in at night so couldn't have taken the chicken,reason I suspect Badgers is there are some in the area....still not clear though are badgers carnivorous?
    Have seen the odd pinemartin about too,not easy to stop our determined bird feeder from sneaking stuff out!;)

Would it be possible to set up a proper bird table (to deter rodents) and get your little one involved ?

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Advertisement