Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Indoor Arenas

Options
  • 10-03-2015 12:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭

How many of you have an indoor arena at your yard?

If you do, do you think you could ever go without it?
    If you don't, do you ever wish you had one?

I have access to an indoor at my yard, but I've started riding in our outdoor arena lately at night and it's just lovely, I think I prefer the fresh air! However on crap days I wouldn't be without my indoor :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭ailbheg

It'd be great to have an indoor for the miserable, wet winter evenings, or the days where the outdoor is frozen. But there are things that are higher on my priority list than an indoor (24/7 turnout is essential for my gelding), so I'm happy to do without. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Ah_Yeah

How miserable does it have to be before you won't ride ailbheg? :)

Ah_Yeah wrote: »
    How miserable does it have to be before you won't ride ailbheg? :)

It really depends on how long I can stay after riding, if I can stay for long enough to get my boy dried off I'll ride unless the arena is very wet. Recently I haven't been able to get down early enough after work to get him dried off if he does get soaked though, so at the moment, anything heavier than light rain puts a stopper on things. I've been really lucky this winter and haven't missed too many evening of riding due to rain, we've just managed to avoid it quite a few times though.

ailbheg wrote: »
    It really depends on how long I can stay after riding, if I can stay for long enough to get my boy dried off I'll ride unless the arena is very wet. Recently I haven't been able to get down early enough after work to get him dried off if he does get soaked though, so at the moment, anything heavier than light rain puts a stopper on things. I've been really lucky this winter and haven't missed too many evening of riding due to rain, we've just managed to avoid it quite a few times though.

We were actually so blessed this winter weren't we?! The wind was worse than the rain (scarier for horses)!

We were actually so blessed this winter weren't we?! The wind was worse than the rain (scarier for horses)!

We really were. Frozen arena caused more disruption than rain I think!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,281 ✭✭✭Valentina

I don't have an indoor in my current yard. My old yard had one I thought I could never do without it but in winter it would get so busy you could hardly do any work in it.

I don't miss the indoor really. The only thing I don't like is riding in the rain because drying my horse and tack afterwards is a pain. If the arena is particularly boggy we won't do anything strenuous. I am lucky enough to have access to over 300 acres of well drained paddocks if I want to do something else.

Now that I've had my horse in yards with and without indoors, I'd consider it a bonus, not a necessity, to have one.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭bob1984

We have an indoor which for me at the moment is a God-send. I have a horse coming back from injury who after 12 weeks box rest has just started walking in hand, having the quiet indoor has been great - I'd be lost without it.

That being said in normal circumstances you will always find me riding outside where possible :) I actually must prefer it - especially on a clear night;

There are times when the indoor is great if the weather is really bad, more wind 7 rain or if the outdoor freezes - in those times the horse would not be exercised properly if not for the indoor - but would I survive without it - yes - I'm probably just spoiled at this stage :D

Valentina wrote: »
    I don't have an indoor in my current yard. My old yard had one I thought I could never do without it but in winter it would get so busy you could hardly do any work in it.

I don't miss the indoor really. The only thing I don't like is riding in the rain because drying my horse and tack afterwards is a pain. If the arena is particularly boggy we won't do anything strenuous. I am lucky enough to have access to over 300 acres of well drained paddocks if I want to do something else.

Now that I've had my horse in yards with and without indoors, I'd consider it a bonus, not a necessity, to have one.

Oh my god Valentina where do you have your horse on livery? Sounds amazing! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,281 ✭✭✭Valentina

Oh my god Valentina where do you have your horse on livery? Sounds amazing! :D

Haha, it's pretty amazing alright :D It's a small yard past Ratoath will only 3 other liveries.

A bit too far out for me! Sounds amazing though :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,482 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

When I'm out in driving rain and the cob is trying so had to keep the wind out of his face that he will voluntarily round up, I think, yes, an indoor would be nice. Before we all moved yard (a long story) and went to our new base, we had a small sand arena and what was not much more than hard standing for turn out.

Our new place has long barns where small fat cobs can overwinter and keep their older friends on the move and so less likely to get stiff. We have good stables with automatic drinkers and lots of light and air. We have a huge lean to, where we can tie up,groom and wash under cover, we have about 15 acres of pasture, some in small paddocks and some with bigger fields where people with small fat cobs who don't jump much any more (rider doesn't, cob does, see below)can able in and out of the water, up and down small banks and pop the occasional coffin. I have my own specially built mounting block and passing people who will get me up and down as needed.

The downside of the pasture is that small fat cobs have learnt to jump post and rails from field to field if they decide the supply of spring grass is not to the level they would like...it gets somewhat embarrassing when the farrier says "Holy f**k, look at the size of that arse " but I suppose better he comments on the cob's than mine:D:D:D

If I could have all of that plus a huge indoor, then yes please. If it's a choice between indoor and everything else,then no.

I'd prefer fields, turn out and good stables to an indoor, but if I could have the above and an indoor, then yes please.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭JillyQ

My yard hasnt got an indoor arena so havent been in one in years. Much prefer the outdoors, even if it is in the middle of the driving rain in winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭nearzero

Never had an indoor so I guess you dont miss what you never had! I love riding outdoors aswell - just seems more natural or something! ;)

One thing I love is an outdoor that doesnt flood - having a brilliant surface that drains is worth its weight in gold if you ask me, this country has so much rain being able to work away without slipping through puddles! I was at a competition in a big equestrian place before and the surface held so much water when there was a deluge of rain - was awful :(

Advertisement