Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Forfeited Medals

Options
  • 10-03-2015 2:32am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭

I’ve found a very distant family member (in-law of an in-law of an in-law of an….etc) who was involved in the Great African War at the beginning of the 20th century. He was awarded medals for bravery and the citations were along the lines of ‘Pvt. A was a warrior’, ‘master of machine gunnery’, ‘Pvt. A carried Pvt. B to safety and returned to man the gun’, ‘commissioned in 1916’, ‘conspicuous gallantry’, ‘devotion to duty’, ‘courage’, ‘rallied the men’, ‘invaluable service’, ‘skill’, ‘dedication’, ‘silenced the gun and crew’. It goes on like this for many paragraphs. He was Superman! Then at the end it turns out the medals were ‘forfeited, under the terms of the Royal Warrant of the medal dated 6th November 1920.’ And other medals were ‘cancelled’. It is not known what happened. Anyone have any ideas as to why medals would have to be forfeited?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Waitsian

I did a quick online search and the main reasons appear to be fraudulent enlistment, desertion and mutiny. I'll do a better search when I'm at home on the PC. Maybe post your query as well in the main history forum or in the military forum (is there one?) or on a military history message board?

also forfeited apparently for criminal convictions and\or bringing the good name of the army into disrepute.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

After all the bravery, he was a criminal? I need to do more searching to find out what happened. Maybe British Army soldiers' records?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,310 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Have you a paid sub?
    Mine for Ancestry ends today but I can do a quick search if you need.

Genealogy Forum Mod

I have a sub so will check it out later, thanks for the offer though.

• Advertisement

Back at the PC now and did some more digging. Apparently every new medal when entered into commission comes with a Royal Warrant. The one below is for the Albert medal:

http://www.stephen-stratford.co.uk/am_warrant.htm

This is near the bottom:
    In order to make such additional provision as shall effectually preserve pure this most honourable Distinction, it is ordained that if any person on whom such Distinction is conferred be guilty of any crime or disgraceful conduct which in Our judgement disqualifies him from the said Decorations, his name shall forthwith be erased from the registry of individuals upon whom the said Decoration shall have been conferred by an especial Warrant under Our Royal Sign Manual, and his Medal shall be forfeited. And every person to whom the said Medal is given shall, before receiving the same, enter into an agreement to return the same if his name shall be so erased as aforesaid under this regulation. It is hereby further declared that We, Our Heirs and Successors, shall be the sole judges of the circumstances demanding such expulsion. Moreover, We shall at any time have power to restore such persons as may at any time have been expelled to the enjoyment of the Decoration.

Was he involved in the War of Independence, on the 'rebel' side? Seems at any rate he was deemed to have done something to have his citations rescinded. It'll be interesting to hear what exactly if you find out.

If it's the Boer wars to which you're referring try this forum:

http://www.angloboerwar.com/forum/15-important-decisions-book/662-forfeiture?limitstart=0

If the First WW try this one:

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php

African War is all I know. It looks like he was guilty of being disgraceful or criminal! The citation doesn't show that side of his personality but obviously something went horribly wrong. Will dig deeper later and report back when/if I find anything. Many thanks.

Advertisement