Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Incorrect use of Guaranteed Irish symbol. Surely it doesn't cover NI?

Options
  • 09-03-2015 11:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33,139 ✭✭✭✭

I bought 2l of milk the other day, and as you do at the table, I was reading the label.

It had the GI logo, the milk brand was 'Bainne Ur' and the label said 'produced in Ireland'. All things you'd think would make you feel like you were buying Irish milk?

However, there is also a little oval shape on all milk cartons which usually have IE stamped at the top for RoI produced milk. However this one had 'UK NI' on it, so it was NI milk.

How was it ale to use the Guaranteed Irish logo?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

The guaranteed Irish logo is very loosely awarded, I've seen it on tea and coffee and we don't have plantations here. A major stage of the processing has to happen here but the products don't have to originate in Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Guaranteed Irish is basically a marketing tool. As already mentioned it's criteria seem to be fairly loose in that where possible 50% or more of the added value should originate in Ireland.
    http://www.guaranteedirish.ie/members/become-member.htm

There's cross-border trade in bulk milk and some Irish dairies have plants or mergers on both sides of the border so it's not necessarily NI milk. Many border dairies are supplied by farmers on both sides.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭delahuntv

A lot of the milk packaged in NI is milk from farms all over the country. Strathroy pay 2c a litre more than Glanbia, so many farmers sell their milk to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭baldbear

Under the good Friday agreement farmers up North with nationalist cows are allowed to put guaranteed Irish on their milk.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Let's leave politics out of this discussion please.

dudara

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Lots of Srathroy milk originates in Co Wexford

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

dudara wrote: »
    Let's leave politics out of this discussion please.

dudara

It leaves very little to be discussed then :D

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭phester28

I hate these Guaranteed Irish symbol super imposed over the tri colour. I am OK with the concept of it being from the Isle of Ireland but it should not use the tri-colour if it is from up north.

Most Irish products as has been previously mentioned are only processed here and a badge stuck on. I remember companies like apple and EMC bring in products ready assembled and tested and only briefly re-test them in Ireland and then can declare them as made in Ireland and pay less vat / Duty

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

phester28 wrote: »
    I hate these Guaranteed Irish symbol super imposed over the tri colour. I am OK with the concept of it being from the Isle of Ireland but it should not use the tri-colour if it is from up north.

Most Irish products as has been previously mentioned are only processed here and a badge stuck on. I remember companies like apple and EMC bring in products ready assembled and tested and only briefly re-test them in Ireland and then can declare them as made in Ireland and pay less vat / Duty

AFAIK Apple actually still produce their high value items here. So its not just a tax dodge, some stuff is made here. Also their Chinese factories are purely assembly and a lot of the parts come from the US. Plus they employee thousands directly in Cork. If they werent avoiding taxes in Ireland, they would do it elsewhere.

I think the most dishonest labelling is the bord bia one. You think the product is Irish when you look at it. But its usually Northern Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭phester28

Apple do "produce" some product here still, however at the same time they also are free to import the same high value, ready made product and just do a quick test on it and call it "produced in Ireland" :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement