Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Postgraduate Options in Field of Mathematics

Options
  • 09-03-2015 11:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

I'm currently completing a B.Sc. in Mathematics and Statistics in Maynooth University.
    I'm pretty lost with what postgraduate options to follow. Ideally, I'd like to jump straight into a PhD programme, however a Masters is not out of the question at all.
    I have been looking up programmes in Trinity College Dublin, UCD, University of Limerick as well as several courses in England (Cambridge, Imperial College London, etc.) all in the field of Mathematics.

Basically I was wondering what my best options are with regard to postgraduate study - I have a while to decide as I'm only in my third (out of four) year but I like to make sure plans are made and know what goals I'm working toward!

If anyone has any suggestions/advice regarding this matter, or even the finer details of living in or funding in the UK (or even funding for postgrads in Ireland) or what it's like to be an Irish student in the UK, it'd be really appreciated!

Thank you!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭TheBody

You should make an appointment with David Redmond in the Maths Dept in Maynooth. He is the postgrad coordinator. He should be able to advise you.

https://www.maynoothuniversity.ie/mathematics-and-statistics/our-people/david-b-redmond

Are you studying pure or applied maths?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 jonesryan

I'm studying Applied Maths! I'll be sure to contact David Redmond - thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭TheBody

If you have not done pure maths you probably won't get a supervisor to take you on for a Phd straight away.

You will probably be told to do a taught masters first. As you have not done any pure modules, you will have to do it over 2 years instead of 1.

Believe me, pure maths is SUBSTANTIALLY harder than applied maths. It's very rewarding but a lot of work.

Good luck!

Advertisement