Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do you think of this Female blues Artist?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,446 ✭✭✭Rigsby

Nice to see a woman playing and singing the blues for a change. :) She has a good voice and can play, but what struck me most was the lack of feeling when she sang. She seemed to be going through the motions. With the blues, it is all about "feeling" and putting a song across in this way is not easy.

I much prefer Christine Perfect/McVie. She can also sing and play...but this time...with feeling. ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmG24mOWZoo

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Stechkin

She doing good i think , i cant do better

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭mravaya

Rigsby wrote: »
    Nice to see a woman playing and singing the blues for a change. :) She has a good voice and can play, but what struck me most was the lack of feeling when she sang. She seemed to be going through the motions. With the blues, it is all about "feeling" and putting a song across in this way is not easy.

I much prefer Christine Perfect/McVie. She can also sing and play...but this time...with feeling. ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmG24mOWZoo

Samantha Fish is a very young performer just turned 25, with a lot to learn musically. and has 50yrs of catching up on the likes of Christine Perfect/McVie if you compare Samantha Fish's early performances with the most recent performances you will notice there is more of that feeling in her songs coming through. I feel that Blues is also about life and the way life is experienced and conveying life experiences through blues music I have found the the best masters of Blues were the artist that were more mature in their years and therefore really conveyed that true grit feeling in their songs

mravaya wrote: »
    Samantha Fish is a very young performer just turned 25, with a lot to learn musically. and has 50yrs of catching up on the likes of Christine Perfect/McVie if you compare Samantha Fish's early performances with the most recent performances you will notice there is more of that feeling in her songs coming through. I feel that Blues is also about life and the way life is experienced and conveying life experiences through blues music I have found the the best masters of Blues were the artist that were more mature in their years and therefore really conveyed that true grit feeling in their songs

Yeah. I agree that the blues is about singing/playing about life's up's and down's. Being a bit older helps with this. I was basing my comments on just the clip you posted, in which she has about as much feeling as a piece of wood IMO. Perhaps her later performances were better. I have not checked them out. In the Christine Perfect/McVie clip that I posted, she is around the same age as Samantha Fish is now.

While having many years under your belt helps in playing blues with feeling, it is not necessarily a pre requisite. I started my blues journey listening to John Mayall when he was around the same age as Samantha Fish is now. Even at that comparatively young age, he sang and played with conviction and feeling. Same goes for very early Robert Cray.

Here is another female singer who, when this clip was recoreded was fairly young. Granted, it is not blues, but the "feeling" she exudes always sends shivers down my back. ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MmlJEESUEvo

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭mravaya

Rigsby wrote: »
    Yeah. I started my blues journey listening to John Mayall when he was around the same age as Samantha Fish is now. Even at that comparatively young age, he sang and played with conviction and feeling. Same goes for very early Robert Cray.

What a coincidence, I too started my journey listening to John Mayall along with his bluesbrakers band. I had the good fortune of seeing them live a few times back in the 80's.....What I am really interested in now is listening to the Blues that influenced the likes of Brit Blues such as John Mayall, Eric Clapton, Paul Jones. In doing so I come across some really interesting American Blues artist. An example of someone who I like is RL Burnside
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_DOnKJ232M&list=PLLoMHppnq7b5W6kalbOxP0tZ6VCcp3REJ This artist led me to his Grandson Cedric Burnside, who plays with real gutso feeling
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LsfCpIRCpe8

• Advertisement

That's a coincidence alright. No better blues artist to start with than Mayall. ;) I saw him playing here in Dublin back in '09. I grew up listening to his music, and the first album (LP) I ever bought was the "Beano" one (Mayall&Clapton).

Mayall was a champion of the old blues greats in that he often included covers of songs by the original artists. He always gave them credit on the cover of the album. Some artists he particularly likes are J.B Lenoir and Sonny Boy Williamson (who influenced his harp playing).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭excollier

She's pretty good. I'd certainly pay to see her in concert.

Advertisement