Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rio de Janeiro - is it that dangerous?

Options
  • 09-03-2015 9:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭

I am supposed to go to Rio for a week for work, but everything that I am reading is putting me off, from personal safety perspective. So my question to you "is Rio de Janeiro really that dangerous"?
    I am not the panic kind, but many of the travel websites are very off putting about mugging risk, etc.
    Any personal experience out there?

They have suggested I stay in a hotel near Copacabana on Avenida Atlantica but work is in the Centro district.

Also any route advice? Quickest seems BA via LHR. I have enough budget for BA premium economy, but there seems no cheap ish business options.

Any advise greatly received.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭solerina

I assume as long as your street wise and don't go into any strange areas then you will be fine, I certainly didn't find it anyway dangerous when I was there...I also stayed in Copacabana (one street back from the beach) and it was lovely.
    Mugging can happen in any city, the worst places I have been with regard to that are Rome and Barcelona....I wouldn't think you have anything to worry about unless you go wandering in the Favelas...where you will hardly be anyway !!

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Idol

I was in Rio a few years back, after travelling through Brazil on a group tour. Stayed in hotel in Copacabana and me and my mate were robbed after walking on the footpath through one of the road tunnels. It did look safe to go through, as there were other people walking in and out of it, but we were held up by two blokes with a knife so ended up losing our belongings.
    The police were very helpful, taking our statements, etc, but I'd just advise you to use extreme caution when over there, don't take any risks and try to take taxis everywhere, no matter if it is just a short distance.

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭prettygurrly

I was in Rio for a day...as a female...alone. I loved it but I wouldn't do it at night unless I had copious amounts of money for taxis. I'd recommend getting to know a taxi driver, taking his number and he being your port of call. I got really lucky with one I randomly met. Really lovely...but then you never know when you get in a taxi, same could be said in Dublin of course

• Registered Users Posts: 7,117 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

I've spent plenty of time in Rio (about two months in total) and never had any trouble whatsoever.

Common sense is the way to go. Don't go near the non-pacified slums, like Alemao or Rocinha. I stayed on the edge of a pacified slum (Santa Marta in Botafogo) and had no problems, day or night, despite sticking out like a sore thumb but I never went up into the slum proper. I once had a taxi driver refuse to take me all the way to my flat at night but that was his hangup. I walked up from where he dropped me off and had no trouble.

At night, it'd best stay out of the dark parts of the street and stay near the busier areas, though this can cause it's own problems. I never had any problems with taxis but if you want, you could hire a private driver for added reassurance.

Best bet to stay in Copacabana or Leblon. I don't think the actual centre is recommended for hanging around after dark. I know parts like Santa Teresa, although touristy during the day, have a bad rep at night.

Also, some advice my friend (a local) gave me was that if you're in a place with a lot of noise, you shouldn't worry but if it's quiet, you should be more careful.

Just use common sense and you should be ok. Enjoy as it's a great place despite it's rep.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 387 ✭✭berger89

spent 2 weeks in Rio last year. didn't have an ounce of trouble. in fact, found it to be a very friendly city. they would stop and ask you if you needed directions. at the start, we were hesitant in case they wanted money but nope, they helped us on our way with a smile and a good wish. very good city! stayed a few night in copacabana, wasn't overwhelmed by it, dunno what all the fuss is about tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Naked Lepper

rio is not dangerous
    to be honest, copacabana at night time is probably more dangerous than other non touristy areas
    was there in 2009 for a few weeks and loved it, no issues and locals were very friendly

Best bet to stay in Copacabana or Leblon. I don't think the actual centre is recommended for hanging around after dark. I know parts like Santa Teresa, although touristy during the day, have a bad rep at night.

i stayed in both copacabana and santa theresa and thought santa theresa was fine even at night time, you need to make sure u know where youre going though as its easy to get lost there and impossible for taxis to get up some of the hills cos theyre so steep

would highly recommend terra brasilis hostel in santa theresa, amazing views of lapa and the bay

Advertisement