Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AerLingus voucher

Options
  • 09-03-2015 7:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭

Hi
    Anyone know if there is any problem using an aerlingus voucher booking family flights? 4 of us flying flights are 530 e and voucher in my name for 300 e so is it just a matter of paying the 230 e balance? I think it should be ok but cant be sure webpage says no to voucher being used for groups but think thats 7 or more people? Any help appreciated!
    Ricky

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,153 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I used it for two people no problem. I don't think it'll be an issue. I think their groups restriction is because they already give a small discount to group bookings.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭solerina

I also used an AE voucher for a booking for 2 people, as long as the person whose name is on the voucher is included in the booking its grand !!

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Ed-Moses

The Aerlingus voucher scheme is not user friendly. If the user has price locked a flight, there is a catch. Try to use a voucher to pay for the flight, and there is no way to do this.
    The following line is in the terms and conditions.
    • Vouchers cannot be offset against bookings which have already been made.

So I take it price locking a flight is a booking?
    The voucher is only allowed to be used in what appears to be very restrictive conditions..
    I gave this as a gift and herself was delighted with it on Christmas morning. But not now. Do not buy a voucher for your loved one unless you want a kick in the "conditions" later on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,149 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

Voucher can only be used to pay for a new booking, can't be used to upgrade, alter or pay a deposit

There are no booking fees if the entire transaction is covered by the value of the voucher

The remaining value can be used for another booking

Seems a bit on the sharp side. There is a grey area between price locking and booking.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,153 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Aer Lingus vouchers are very restrictive, considering at that stage they already have your money.

One restriction I found was that you cannot use it for a flight which 'should' be paid for in another currency, regardless of what exchange rate you use. I wanted to use it for a flight back from Poland and it was no go.

They also do not give change, so if you use a 300 euro voucher and only use 200 of it, they pocket the remaining 100.

I found Ryanair's voucher conditions much more sensible (and they give change).

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Andrew Beef

Ed-Moses wrote: »
    I gave this as a gift and herself was delighted with it on Christmas morning

An Aer Lingus voucher for Christmas?

You old romantic...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,149 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

spurious wrote: »

One restriction I found was that you cannot use it for a flight which 'should' be paid for in another currency, regardless of what exchange rate you use. I wanted to use it for a flight back from Poland and it was no go.
    choice of currency is given at time of voucher purchase
    They also do not give change, so if you use a 300 euro voucher and only use 200 of it, they pocket the remaining 100.

Multiple bookings using the same voucher are possible and part payment with voucher and cash possible also. No expiry date on the vouchers either

• Registered Users Posts: 81,773 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Why oh why do people still give vouchers, can people not place a Post-It-Note on a wad of cash saying what they think the recipient should spend it on?

It was this or the jewellery and that's a minefield and a half.

• Advertisement

choice of currency is given at time of voucher purchase

Multiple bookings using the same voucher are possible and part payment with voucher and cash possible also. No expiry date on the vouchers either
    I would like to thank Aer Lingus so being so very customer focused and make traversing their flight purchase so very easy for this consumer. I bought the voucher and my partner tried to use it. Now I feel like a right unromantic fecking fool.

For most internet transactions one can enter the voucher details at the point of payment.
    The Aer Lingus payment choice is lacking this facility.
    I do not see the technological reason for it not to be there. The commercial reason may have the dice loaded in the house's favour. But that would be conjecture, if only.

The Aerlingus voucher now feels just like a betting slip for booking a flight. Good luck with that.
    Fool and money come to mind here. After the fact.

Here are their terms and conditions for serious suckers like myself.
    voucher terms and conditions
    1.Vouchers can only be redeemed at A.com in respect of flights operated by A and cannot be redeemed for bookings that involve travel on flights operated by partnership airlines.
    Vouchers purchased online cannot be redeemed through the A reservation offices, at airport ticket counters or at travel agents.
    Vouchers purchased online can have a delayed delivery date for recipient electronic email voucher. Delivery date can be set up to a maximum of 3 months from purchase date.
    Vouchers can only be redeemed on A.com against the cost of A flights (including fares, taxes, charges and selected fees).
    Vouchers are issued in amounts as specified at time of purchase in the following currencies: EUR, GBP, USD.
    Vouchers can only be redeemed against bookings in the currency of issue.
    Vouchers are available in the following denominations - 25, 50, 75, 100, 150, 200, 250, 300, 350, 400, 450 and 500.
    Only one voucher may be used per transaction.
    In order to redeem a voucher the person whose name is on the voucher as specified by the purchaser at the time of purchase must be a member of the party being booked. Vouchers are transferable and this can be done via the Change Name function in Manage my Voucher on A.com. First name, surname, e-mail address and delivery date can be changed; all other items remain as per the original voucher.
    Vouchers cannot be redeemed as part of Gold Circle Travel Reward bookings.
    Bag fees / Advance Seat Selection fees / Lounge Access fees may be paid for with vouchers provided they are pre-booked at the same time as the purchase of the flight(s). Vouchers cannot be used in respect of these fees if they are booked subsequently through the Manage Booking facility.
    Vouchers may not be used for other products (e.g. car hire, hotels, travel insurance).
    If the voucher has been inactive for a period of 12 months, a monthly inactive balance charge of €1.45 (equivalent value for GBP vouchers will be applied based on exchange rate at time of charge) will start to be applied from the following month and will continue until such time as the balance on the voucher is zero and this agreement is terminated.
    Vouchers are not refundable.
    Vouchers will not be redeemed or exchanged for cash.
    Vouchers are void if altered or obtained fraudulently
    A reserves the right to cancel bookings or request alternate forms of payment if a fraudulently or improperly obtained voucher is redeemed at A.com.
    If the ticket price is greater than the value of the voucher, the difference may be paid with a credit card.
    Any credit remaining following redemption of the voucher may be used within the original validity period towards future flight purchases.
    Vouchers cannot be offset against bookings which have already been made.
    Vouchers cannot be applied towards change fees, or additional fare for reissued or partially used tickets.
    Vouchers may not be used towards the purchase of food or beverages on board.
    Vouchers cannot be used to make or confirm a Price Lock or Deposit booking.

Caveat Emptor and all that. This just sucks.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Aer Lingus vouchers are very restrictive, considering at that stage they already have your money.

I found Ryanair's voucher conditions much more sensible (and they give change).
    The parents got a voucher from relations at Christmas so was quite concerned when I read the part in bold. I just checked the AE website on the subject and they say...
    What if the value of my gift voucher is more than the price of my booking?
    If there's any credit remaining after using your voucher, it can be used towards future flight purchases until the credit balance reaches zero.

Said balance can be checked on their voucher site here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

I can't see anything wrong or surprising in the t & c's - seem to be pretty much standard for a gift voucher.
    Flexible in that you can do an instant change of name and pass a balance to someone else.
    Nice option to buy up to 3 months in advance of the date you want to give it.

gizmo wrote:
    Said balance can be checked on their voucher site

This must have changed since I last used them. Apologies if I gave incorrect information. My last experience with them put me off ever using them again.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

This must have changed since I last used them. Apologies if I gave incorrect information. My last experience with them put me off ever using them again.
    No apologies necessary at all! To be fair, I wouldn't have been terribly surprised had that been the case, I've seen other retailers try the same thing but just thought I'd double check myself before ringing the folks to warn them. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭sacamano

Sorry to bump this but had a couple of questions (one already answered regarding carrying forward a balance on a voucher).

I went to book flights using a voucher and it's only charging me for Taxes & Charges and not for the actual fare. Some sort of glitch or?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,407 ✭✭✭✭ted1

I used it for two people no problem. I don't think it'll be an issue. I think their groups restriction is because they already give a small discount to group bookings.

But the voucher actually costs 9 euro to buy so they are not losing any money in it. They have the cash

Advertisement