Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

<Dublin seller> AVOID!

Options
  • 09-03-2015 7:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

recently bought an astra from a garage in clondalkin. Bought it for 2900. engine light went on within 5 minutes of leaving the garage and then the car broke down by the time it got to naas. I had to address the issues immediately so had it done by my own mechanic. The cost of repairs came to 900 and included tyres brakes and timing chain kit. all of which i had asked about on purchase and told they were 'just done'
    Also the log book never arrived in the post and when i called he refused to sort this and lied about ever aspect of the sale refusing to refund anything or even to send the log book on. the phone calls went on for over two months and i have had to take the full cost of repairs and get a log book reissued by going to a solicitor and opel dealer and the motor tax office. after threatening the garage with small claims i get a check for only the cost of the tyres as i pointed out its illegal to sell a car thats not road worthy.

Long story short this chap is a complete liar and a cowboy and i would avoid him by a mile.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭daveyeh

<Dublin seller>

• Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭pippip

Not defending the garage but you cant bring it to your own mechanic and then expect them to pay. Imagine how a garage could be robbed blind if they did that.

How did you not spot the tyres when collecting the car?

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Big Davey

Did you not see the tyres before you bought the car ?
    I use a little mirror to get a look at the brake pads and discs without taking the wheel off you should try it next time.
    Who said the timing chain needed to be done ? Was it rattling ? Maybe your own mechanic was taking the wee wee ?
    What was the exact cause of the breakdown ? You have not stated that.

recently bought an astra from a garage in clondalkin. Bought it for 2900. engine light went on within 5 minutes of leaving the garage and then the car broke down by the time it got to naas. I had to address the issues immediately so had it done by my own mechanic. The cost of repairs came to 900 and included tyres brakes and timing chain kit. all of which i had asked about on purchase and told they were 'just done'
    Also the log book never arrived in the post and when i called he refused to sort this and lied about ever aspect of the sale refusing to refund anything or even to send the log book on. the phone calls went on for over two months and i have had to take the full cost of repairs and get a log book reissued by going to a solicitor and opel dealer and the motor tax office. after threatening the garage with small claims i get a check for only the cost of the tyres as i pointed out its illegal to sell a car thats not road worthy.

Long story short this chap is a complete liar and a cowboy and i would avoid him by a mile.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Skolliemaher

he stated on numerous occasions that he had been on to Shannon and it was in the post. But when i got on to shannon after a while they said they had received no phone calls in relation to the car at all and had received no change of ownership requests. this was really the main issue as it led to fines for no tax and so on.

• Advertisement

pippip wrote: »
    Not defending the garage but you cant bring it to your own mechanic and then expect them to pay. Imagine how a garage could be robbed blind if they did that.

he said it had just been through the NCT so hadn't expected he would have changed the tyres after an nct but now i know.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭pippip

might be worth double checking if the cert is legit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭bladebrew

What is the benefit of the garage owner holding into the Reg Cert?
    It sounds a bit dodgy, is there even a reg cert for the car?

I can't think of reason they would hang onto to it!

pippip wrote: »

bladebrew wrote: »
    What is the benefit of the garage owner holding into the Reg Cert?
    It sounds a bit dodgy, is there even a reg cert for the car?

I can't think of reason they would hang onto to it!

no turns out there wasn't. i never saw it anyway. i just received a new one today after getting forms for solicitor and opel dealer signed off

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭alias no.9

no turns out there wasn't. i never saw it anyway. i just received a new one today after getting forms for solicitor and opel dealer signed off

The new owner should be signing the VLC before its sent to Shannon, did you sign it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Big Davey

he said it had just been through the NCT so hadn't expected he would have changed the tyres after an nct but now i know.
    Who said he changed the tyres ?
    If you did not check them before you bought the car how do you know they were changed ?
    Tyres only have to be at the legal limit to pass the NCT.
    The law changed a while back and anomity is no longer on the Internet so if you are not being fully truthfull you may find this guy gets a court order and demands your IP address from boards and then sues you for defamation of character.
    If you are telling the truth you have nothing to worry about of course.
    The second hand car market is a minefield I sugges you get a good mechanic to inspect your next purchase.
    Good luck with the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

Don't be ridiculous, there are not many fellas who can afford to fund a defamation action.
    At most there are keyboard warriors throwing shapes; sabre rattling; legal experts as they done a bit of googling.

Come off the horse, unnecessary scaremongering.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Big Davey wrote: »
    Who said he changed the tyres ?
    If you did not check them before you bought the car how do you know they were changed ?
    Tyres only have to be at the legal limit to pass the NCT.
    The law changed a while back and anomity is no longer on the Internet so if you are not being fully truthfull you may find this guy gets a court order and demands your IP address from boards and then sues you for defamation of character.
    If you are telling the truth you have nothing to worry about of course.
    The second hand car market is a minefield I sugges you get a good mechanic to inspect your next purchase.
    Good luck with the car.

Are you <Dubiln seller> ???????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

Are you <Dubiln seller> ???????

You've flushed him out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

he stated on numerous occasions that he had been on to Shannon and it was in the post. But when i got on to shannon after a while they said they had received no phone calls in relation to the car at all and had received no change of ownership requests. this was really the main issue as it led to fines for no tax and so on.
    In all fairness it's totally the norm for shannon to forget to post logbooks or they get lost in the mail etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Speak to a solicitor.

Contrary to popular opinion this forum is not a place to register and start giving out about a particular garage.
    If there are legal issues boards will not be made a middle man in the case.
    References to the garage removed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement