Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your views please on the BSA Martini .22 for target shooting

Options
  • 09-03-2015 4:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,035 ✭✭✭

As from the tittle your views please on the BSA Martini .22 for target shooting?

What should I be looking out for when viewing one.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

They're lovely bits of engineering. If you see a vickers though, I'd nearly go for that instead:
    http://guns.ie/2010/04/04/vickers-bsa-martini-jubilee/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,035 ✭✭✭clivej

Sparks wrote: »
    They're lovely bits of engineering. If you see a vickers though, I'd nearly go for that instead:
    http://guns.ie/2010/04/04/vickers-bsa-martini-jubilee/

Nice link to that website :)

But I'm going to look at the Martini tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭homerhop

clivej wrote: »
    Nice link to that website :)

But I'm going to look at the Martini tomorrow

Ask LB to sell you her Anschutz seeing as she keeps using mine lol

What's that vickers weigh in at?

• Subscribers Posts: 4,075 ✭✭✭IRLConor

The overall weight might be an issue. I haven't weighed DURC's Vickers but it's not a lightweight gun by any stretch of the imagination. It's light enough for a prone rifle, but I'm not sure how friendly it would be with a scope on it and the BR weight limits.

Of more concern would be the trigger weight. I don't know about the later models, but the trigger on the Vickers is very heavy. It's extremely sharp and the feel of it is fantastic but it's way heavier than I'd ever consider for a competition gun.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭extremetaz

I'd agree with the above - it wouldn't be a very nice rifle to shoot standing or kneeling. Prone is fine, I've not shot .22 with any regularity in about 2 years, threw myself in behind it last week and was easily holding deep 8's on a very rough sling setup and in a jacket that didn't fit - most of that spread was coming from my head position behind the sites on account of that slidy buttplate, not from the trigger, although the trigger would definitely become an issue if I were trying hard for >9.8's or so.

We've said before that it's an outstanding intro gun for new shooters, but I don't see it making the competition line unfortunately.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

extremetaz wrote: »
    it's an outstanding intro gun for new shooters
    Amen to that. I can't think of a single smallbore rifle currently in production that does the job of "entry level gun for new shooter" better than the vickers.
    extremetaz wrote: »
    I don't see it making the competition line unfortunately.
    Sounds like a challange :D

Sparks wrote: »
    Sounds like a challange :D

Give me a year to get back into the swing of things. ;):D

Well I bought one to day. :D:D

Now it is going to be used on the bench and it will/should make the Light and Heavy varmint class. Just have to scope it out now.

Anyone a cheap Weaver T36 please?????? :cool::cool:

Well wear.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Mr.Flibble

TTIUWOP

• Advertisement

Mr.Flibble wrote: »
    TTIUWOP

Happy now :rolleyes::rolleyes:

341578.jpg

341579.jpg

341580.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

CliveJ,
    A BSA Martini? I'll drink to that and well ware.

What's the story on this action? Is it single shot or is there a tube type magazine?

Is that lever for the action, magazine, or something else?

You have inspired me to buy another firearm(s). Whatever shall it(they) be?:confused:

FISMA wrote: »
    CliveJ,
    A BSA Martini? I'll drink to that and well ware.

What's the story on this action? Is it single shot or is there a tube type magazine?

Is that lever for the action, magazine, or something else?

You have inspired me to buy another firearm(s). Whatever shall it(they) be?:confused:

Well I'm hoping it shoots as good as it looks.

It's a single shot .22lr weighing in at a hefty 14lb's.
    The lever drops a metal part like a falling block to expose the chamber to feed a round in.
    I'm sure that there are many more people to tell you more about the Martini lll

• Registered Users Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭homerhop

I know where there is another one of them for sale FISMA

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Baker.22

clivej wrote: »
    Well I'm hoping it shoots as good as it looks.

It's a single shot .22lr weighing in at a hefty 14lb's.
    The lever drops a metal part like a falling block to expose the chamber to feed a round in.
    I'm sure that there are many more people to tell you more about the Martini lll

CliveJ , that rifle I'm afraid probably might be too heavy for benchrest HV as the limit is 15lbs (LV is 10.5lbs)the weaver T36 weighs 1lb, you will need some very very light scope mounts! Great rifle love to see it some time, and maybe even shot it, F... It's heavy !!!

Baker.22 wrote: »
    CliveJ , that rifle I'm afraid probably might be too heavy for benchrest HV as the limit is 15lbs (LV is 10.5lbs)the weaver T36 weighs 1lb, you will need some very very light scope mounts! Great rifle love to see it some time, and maybe even shot it, F... It's heavy !!!

Thanks for the heads up.

I'm already working on ways to reduce the weight. :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

homerhop wrote: »
    I know where there is another one of them for sale FISMA

Thanks for the heads-up HomerHop, however, with the 50th Anniversary of the Ruger 10/22, the decision is already made.

Advertisement