Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Robin building nest in garage

Options
  • 09-03-2015 2:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭

I just spotted a little robin darting in and out of the garage with nest building material. It's going in through a small gap at the top of the door. I've no problem with that, however, my cats also go in and out through the same opening :( What should I do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭swifts need our help!

I would stop the cats by putting large hole chicken wire, 3 or 4 inch, across the gap. How big is the gap? They will kills the chicks as soon as they fledge and maybe get the incubating bird/s
    Chucken wrote: »
    I just spotted a little robin darting in and out of the garage with nest building material. It's going in through a small gap at the top of the door. I've no problem with that, however, my cats also go in and out through the same opening :( What should I do?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

The cats have been sleeping in there for years :( If I put wire over the opening, how will the birds get in and out? The opening is the full length of the garage...about 20ft.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭fathead82

The robin might be safe, depending on where the nest is located in the shed. We have swallows, sparrows & bats nesting in the shed where our outside cats sleep & it's very rare that they catch any of them. If the cats disturb the robin while he is building or incubating, he will just abandon the nest site & move elsewhere.

Advertisement