Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Remapping - Pros vs. Cons

Options
  • 09-03-2015 12:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭

Hello,

I was thinking of remapping my car - 09 Focus 1.6tdci 110 bhp.

Has anyone got any advice on either remapping this type of car - or about remapping in general?

Some people I've talked to have have sworn by remapping, yet I've also heard horror stories of remapped cars running through clutches and turbos like there was no tomorrow (Clearly I would like to avoid this).

What is your experience of engine remapping?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭Renegade Mechanic

Wouldn't recommend it tbh, unless you're mapping purely to trade power for efficiency.
    The 1.6tdci is the 1.6 hdi made by Peugeot/Citroen of which weaknesses, are unfortunately numerous. The turbo, injectors/seals, particulate filter, and dual mass flywheel to name but a few. Extra power on those components will make their already likely fail fate much likelier :(

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭FR85

Wouldn't recommend it tbh, unless you're mapping purely to trade power for efficiency.
    The 1.6tdci is the 1.6 hdi made by Peugeot/Citroen of which weaknesses, are unfortunately numerous. The turbo, injectors/seals, particulate filter, and dual mass flywheel to name but a few. Extra power on those components will make their already likely fail fate much likelier :(

Is there any diesel out there that hasn't given grief with DPF, Injectors/Seals, DMF and Turbos??? To put faults on the 1.6 HDI is a bit of a loose statement!! VW PD170 is a prime example along with some BMW 2L and the 1.7 CTDI in the Opel's is known for turbo and head gasket problems.....

Once its mapped correctly and you don't drive it like a rental you'll be fine, a map doesn't mean it has to be horsed at any given chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Spotfire

FR85 wrote: »
    Is there any diesel out there that hasn't given grief with DPF, Injectors/Seals, DMF and Turbos???

I'd have to agree here.

The 1.6 in the Focus gets an awful doing, but I know of engines in other car makes that have caused continual problems yet they don't seem to get the same bashing??

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭FR85

Spotfire wrote: »
    I'd have to agree here.

The 1.6 in the Focus gets an awful doing, but I know of engines in other car makes that have caused continual problems yet they don't seem to get the same bashing??

I have a PD170 BMN and before I got it mapped I had the clutch and DMF done, Injectors done under a recall and then DPF issues, EGR Issues and Swirlflap problems.......I got all those sorted, chopped off, blanked and then a slight map, it now has 170,000 miles on it......I'm due a turbo before 200,000 I'd say.

Get a map done and just keep it serviced, map or no map with age comes problems regardless!

Advertisement