Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drunk on a bag of chips?

Options
  • 09-03-2015 1:24am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭

..or so they claim. Have to say I find this story a little incredible, to say the least:
    This guy can get drunk simply by eating chips

We all wish there were cheaper, easier ways to get drunk (well, most of us at least).

However one British man has revealed how he can get drunk by simply eating chips or mashed potatoes.

Nick Hess suffers from ‘auto-brewery syndrome’, which means his stomach has an overgrowth of yeast which turns any carbohydrates he eats into alcohol.

For years Nick would wake up feeling sick, or often suddenly feel drunk after meals.

His wife even started searching the house for bottles, convinced he was a secret alcoholic.

Now, I don't take issue with any of the above, but it's the following line from the article I find suspect:
    While in hospital, and still under suspicion of being a closeted alcoholic, Nick was feed a meal heavy in carbs which caused his blood alcohol level to shoot up to 120 milligrams per 100 millilitres of blood – which is the equivilant of doing seven straight shots of whiskey .

Am I being needlessly skeptical here? I mean, surely it is waffle of the highest order that a meal of carbs could result in a person having the same blood alcohol level as a person who has consumed seven shots of whiskey ffs! No?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,867 ✭✭✭eternal

No waffles for him either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭Mint Aero

So if I eat a bag of yeast followed by a mashed potato'n'cabbage sammage, i'll be drunker than an English person. Yeah right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭NachoBusiness

Mint Aero wrote: »
    So if I eat a bag of yeast followed by a mashed potato'n'cabbage sammage, i'll be drunker than an English person. Yeah right.

Well, if you have the same abnormal liver enzyme that fails to process alcohol.

Actually, that reminds me of a part in Gerry Conlon's book where he spoke of how they use to make hooch from white bread and fruit I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭Mint Aero

Well, if you have the same abnormal liver enzyme that fails to process alcohol.

Actually, that reminds me of a part in Gerry Conlon's book where he spoke of how they use to make hooch from white bread and fruit I think.

But doesn't the yeast/alcohol process take a few days? How would he get drunk so quick after a meal?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

The lucky bastard !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,409 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

I might jump ahead and just believe the medical analysis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Macavity.

This just has to be made into a movie with cheap humour and unnecessarily elaborate violence.

*trailer voice*

"Due to a rare condition that turns carbs to booze, Nick is the butt of everyone's jokes".

Nick staggers around drunk after eating a bagel while everyone laughs at him.

"His career is a mess".

Nick projectile vomits onto his female boss's chest area, before passing out at an important meeting.

"His car insurance cost is through the roof".

An elderly woman is crossing the road, all is calm.... Nick's car zooms around the corner, full speed, colliding and sending the woman's lifeless body into the air theatrically.

"But when the North Korean government's plot to destroy all of America's alcohol supply is successful... he becomes everybody's new hero".

*typically upbeat trailer music begins*

Nick's stomach is hooked up to an elaborate device involving many pipes which perforate his body. He eats a bun. Scientists look on in amazement as he converts the carbs to alcohol. The world celebrates.

"But not only does he bring other people happiness".

Nick shoots alcohol out of a pipe attached to his groin area - a crowd of people open their mouths, cheering Nick's name as they drink.

"He manages to find happiness for himself".

Nick is at the alter, the beautiful bride to be is his boss. When the priest turns out to be a North Korean spy, Nick turns to him and blasts him in the face with his alcohol pump. He then kisses the bride, everyone cheers.

"This Summer, coming to a cinema near you - "Alcohol Pump Man".

Edit: I have decided Kevin James should play the part of Nick.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,030 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Am I being needlessly skeptical here? I mean, surely it is waffle of the highest order that a meal of carbs could result in a person having the same blood alcohol level as a person who has consumed seven shots of whiskey ffs! No?
    200g carbs would convert to about 115g pure alcohol, the equivalent to 285ml whiskey, or about 8 shots. A big meal could have a lot more than 200g carbs in it too.

http://www.gazettelive.co.uk/news/auto-brewery-syndrome-teetotal-teesville-man-6148233

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Auto-brewery_syndrome

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,618 ✭✭✭The Diabolical Monocle

Like when you huff a bag of chips.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Cen taurus

Life is like a bag of chips . . . .

No wait . . . . . . run forest run.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭evo2000

SEVEN SHOTS OF WHISKEY!!! is this **** for real? he was hospitalized for having the equivalent of seven shots... thats shameful!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

evo2000 wrote: »
    ...... thats shameful!

not really ?

about 11 irish measures - about 1/2 a bottle ? all at once outta the blue

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

I think he also sufferers from a bad case of spooferitis

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 39,030 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

evo2000 wrote: »
    SEVEN SHOTS OF WHISKEY!!! is this **** for real? he was hospitalized for having the equivalent of seven shots... thats shameful!

He wasn't hospitalized because he was paraletic if was to figure out what was causing it everytime he ate a decent meal.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Calibos

I'm skeptical of this story too. They should have xrayed him and would have found the dissolvable condom full of whiskey that he sneakily swallowed before the blood tests. The crafty so and so! ;)

AH to a tee. Not skeptical of stories the should be and skeptical of stories they shouldn't be.

For the inevitable posters with a sarcasm bypass:
    All sceptical, me, you posters, his family and the doctors too...until the point they ran tests where they did a blood alcohol level test, fed him carbs and then took another blood alcohol test.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I've heard of auto-brewery before. It's got to make going out anywhere to eat very difficult, not to mention everyone thinking you're a wino.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,409 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

kylith wrote: »
    I've heard of auto-brewery before. It's got to make going out anywhere to eat very difficult, not to mention everyone thinking you're a wino.

Best medical term ever.

Even beats the winter vomiting bug.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

Cen taurus wrote: »
    Life is like a bag of chips . . . .

No wait . . . . . . rum forest rum.
    FYP

Advertisement