Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The overuse of the word "like" - students debate on gender equality on 3e

Options
  • 08-03-2015 10:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18,329 ✭✭✭✭

I just caught bits of this "debate" on 3e one night. I thought gender equality - ok lets see what people have to say here might be interesting.

It quickly became apparent that it was a room full of (mostly it seemed) 1st year college students in a college with a studio set up.

NONE of them could make any coherent point AT ALL. The presenter (who's name I do not know) did her best to try and steer the conversation "debate" into some level of coherence.

All of the people seemed to throw in the term "like" after every three words or so. This like ,made them seem like, completely like lost.:rolleyes:

Is this what passes as debate among college students these days?

Did anyone else see this debacle? Like.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

No, as I feel no need to punish myself.

I wouldn't make assumptions about students based on that sample, it's often the loudest empty vessels who self-select for those shows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭Sheep Lover

I'm all for equality, so I've decided to join my feminist sisters and get all pissy for one week of the month for no reason other than I'm bleeding from between my legs.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,497 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Totes. Loike.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,123 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Even more annoying when you see people on TG4 throwing in the word "like" every now and then

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭bjork

Dislike :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Even more annoying when you see people on TG4 throwing in the word "like" every now and then

no, they say liké

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 125 ✭✭random1337

Gender roles & hierarchies exist in all species.

Queen bees are leaders of the hive. Maybe we should start experimenting with them and make their social hierarchies more Gender Neutral?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

Was the gender wage gap brought up lol

• Registered Users Posts: 18,329 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

random1337 wrote: »
    Gender roles & hierarchies exist in all species.

Queen bees are leaders of the hive. Maybe we should start experimenting with them and make their social hierarchies more Gender Neutral?

That is what I was thinking but as I said there was no real debate on the programme it was bombarded with "likes" and not much practical thinking.

There was one comment by a girl who wanted "deconstruction of gender roles". But it all seemed academically/idealistic focused with little cop on for practicalities or real life.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

All of the people seemed to throw in the term "like" after every three words or so. This like ,made them seem like, completely like lost.:rolleyes:

Is this what passes as debate among college students these days?

Did anyone else see this debacle? Like.

Sure like is like 'yeah' - its verbal polyfilla for people who cannot think more than three words ahead while they are speaking. Erm is another good one as heard in the Dail many and often time.

Was the gender wage gap brought up lol

Funnily enough it was..... :eek:

But the comment that made me laugh was when the presenter (a woman) said to a young student (a woman). "What are the positives of being a women?" There was a long pause "eeeem". The presenter then rephrased the question "What are the qualities of being a woman?"

The student answered "I don't want to define the qualities of a woman, I just view my qualities as my own qualities, as myself"

I am still undecided whether it was a great answer, an avoidance of the question, or a complete contradiction?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,358 ✭✭✭Aineoil

"What are the qualities of being a woman?"

The student answered "I don't want to define the qualities of a woman, I just view my qualities as my own qualities, as myself"

I am still undecided whether it was a great answer, an avoidance of the question, or a complete contradiction?

I think the answer lies in your post - "student".

I probably will be killed (metaphorically speaking) for saying this. But students have an innate ability for great answers, the avoidance of questions and making complete contradictions.

I love students by the way!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

Funnily enough it was..... :eek:

But the comment that made me laugh was when the presenter (a woman) said to a young student (a woman). "What are the positives of being a women?" There was a long pause "eeeem". The presenter then rephrased the question "What are the qualities of being a woman?"

Did they throw any figures out there about it? And was it a student that brought it up or a presenter?

Did they throw any figures out there about it? And was it a student that brought it up or a presenter?

The presenter seemed to drive the figures talk like the wage gap percentage 14% and that type of thing. I think a student did mention the amount of wealth own by men in the world compared to women. The figure escapes me.

The presenter seem to be trying her best to get them to think about issues and keep momentum going. It was her that asked the student "what are the qualities/positives of being a woman?"

I did find out where the college was the tv3 guide listing - "Students debate the burning issues of today, this time discussing gender. Filmed at Dun Laoghaire Institute of Art, Design and Technology" March 6 @ 9pm
    http://www.tv3.ie/tvguide.php?currentTimeStamp=1425679200

It seemed to be a whole 3e debate week aimed at students covering various topics.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,709 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

But it all seemed academically/idealistic focused with little cop on for practicalities or real life.

They're students!!

What exactly were you expecting??

They were always going to come across as 24/7 "right on" merchants no matter what questions were thrown at them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭SparkySpitfire

Yeah because you're not a real grown up until you've succumbed to unwavering cynicism.

Advertisement