Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheapest place to go in Europe for dental work?

Options
  • 08-03-2015 9:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Am wondering does anyone out there know where the most cheapest and reliable place to go in europe for dental work I'm hearing alot about Hungary?

I have being going to a private practice up north (referred by my dentist) this past year and a half now for periodontal treatment such as to the extent of my ongoing gum disease that required deep cleaning and its costing me a fortune I have one more appointment to go before my next stage which requires an extraction of my K9 to be replaced with a temp denture until it settles down for an optional implant & bone grafting with a breakdown cost for that particular work as follows:

Bone graft: £1000
    Implant: £1800

All suggestions much appreciated.

Ta, Francie

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 933 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dianthus

Cheapest and most reliable are not words that can be associated with each other, in building, clothing, healthcare, life generally.....
    You're looking for a tooth implant. If this was any other body part, say a hip implant or a breast implant, would you ask for the lowest quote in Europe?!
    Is it absolutely vital for you to get an implant, or could you consider another less expensive option such as a bridge, a denture, or even leaving the gap?
    If you suffer from periodontitis, you're also at risk of peri-implantitis....your money might be better spent on prolonging the lifespan of all your remaining natural teeth than ploughing huge funds into 1 false tooth which you may lose in the same way its' predecessor went...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

Dianthus wrote: »
    Cheapest and most reliable are not words that can be associated with each other, in building, clothing, healthcare, life generally.....
    You're looking for a tooth implant. If this was any other body part, say a hip implant or a breast implant, would you ask for the lowest quote in Europe?!
    Is it absolutely vital for you to get an implant, or could you consider another less expensive option such as a bridge, a denture, or even leaving the gap?
    If you suffer from periodontitis, you're also at risk of peri-implantitis....your money might be better spent on prolonging the lifespan of all your remaining natural teeth than ploughing huge funds into 1 false tooth which you may lose in the same way its' predecessor went...

I don't think it would be a good thing to leave a gap.
    Other teeth could be affected seeing how your canine is used in canine guidance..and also a gap would promote malocclusion and reduced masticatory function.
    Canine teeth are usually visible too so for aesthetics you mightn't want a gap.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭francie81

Dianthus wrote: »

Somehow I don't think I would be at risk losing any other natural teeth implant included as you say when I have already invested soo much into arresting the deterioration of my gum bone and looking after them on a regular basis whereas skipping that whole process and going cosmetic implants, crowns, veneers etc would seem more a recipe for disaster indeed not vital but when it comes to whats visible when you smile surely many people out there like myself that would be a tad bit vain on such an issue and seek the best option in the long term again all I asked of was a recommendation on price comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

EoghanIRL wrote: »
    I don't think it would be a good thing to leave a gap.
    Other teeth could be affected seeing how your canine is used in canine guidance..and also a gap would promote malocclusion and reduced masticatory function.
    Canine teeth are usually visible too so for aesthetics you mightn't want a gap.

ah jaysis. i know you're a student, but you always have to give one option as part of different treatment plans, and that is to do nothing. you don't have to advise it but you have to say it. dianthus is right there.

as for the OP, look at the previous threads on getting work done abroad. you won't get any suggestions here. again, it's up to you to make up your mind, but if you have a problem with it your dentist may not look too sympathetically on you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

francie81 wrote: »
    Hi,

Am wondering does anyone out there know where the most cheapest and reliable place to go in europe for dental work I'm hearing alot about Hungary?

Ta, Francie

Generally the further East you go, the cheaper it will be. Hungary may be cheaper, Bulgaria cheaper, Lithuania cheaper etc.

Remember you will need four visits ( consult, surgery, impressions, fit) and a lifetime of aftercare. Most Hungarian clinics have a clause in the treatment agreement that you must return six monthly for check ups in order for them to honour any gaurantee of work done.

I'm not going to get involved in the debate about the merits of treatment home or abroad, it's been done to death here and people's views are polarised. You just need to be sure of what you are doing and beware of PMs on this forum, a few of the agents for foreign clincs post here claiming to be satisfied patients.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Seamus1964

Tenerife

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

India

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭pipelaser

davo10 wrote: »
    India

I don't know about other Eastern European cities, but I've been to the dentist a few times in Budapest. You just get a good feel about the clinics, they feel clean and professional.
    An Budapest is a great city to visit if you have to stay a while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

francie81 wrote: »
    Hi,

I have being going to a private practice up north (referred by my dentist) this past year and a half now for periodontal treatment such as to the extent of my ongoing gum disease that required deep cleaning and its costing me a fortune I have one more appointment to go before my next stage which requires an extraction of my K9 to be replaced with a temp denture until it settles down for an optional implant & bone grafting with a breakdown cost for that particular work as follows:

Bone graft: £1000
    Implant: £1800

Ta, Francie

The Cheapest and most reliable place will be the one closest to where you live. The estimate you got is on the high side to be fair and you will find cheaper places close to you. Also there is no estimate in there for the crown on the implant. Remember you have to take into account travel expenses, time off work, flights, taxis to the airport etc. There is also the ongoing maintenance and the issues of post operative care in case of an emergency (at least 50% of patients I see for implants come back at one point of another with some sort of normal post operative complication that needs sorting).

It has been my experience that those that seek out the cheapest treatment usually end up paying the most.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭francie81

The Cheapest and most reliable place will be the one closest to where you live. The estimate you got is on the high side to be fair and you will find cheaper places close to you. Also there is no estimate in there for the crown on the implant. Remember you have to take into account travel expenses, time off work, flights, taxis to the airport etc. There is also the ongoing maintenance and the issues of post operative care in case of an emergency (at least 50% of patients I see for implants come back at one point of another with some sort of normal post operative complication that needs sorting).

It has been my experience that those that seek out the cheapest treatment usually end up paying the most.

Hi Fitz, Cheers for the reply and will take this on board just about the price again do you think that quote is really way too high? Francis

• Advertisement
Advertisement