Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landlords reference

Options
  • 08-03-2015 8:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 46

do new landlords check up on a printed reference you give them when aquiring a new flat , or is the printed reference usually good enough ??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Landlords should check out references before handing over the keys of an asset worth tens (if not hundreds) of thousands of euro. Not every landlord does, but they should, a printed reference is very easy to type up and falsify

• Registered Users Posts: 46 thefires

athtrasna wrote: »
    Landlords should check out references before handing over the keys of an asset worth tens (if not hundreds) of thousands of euro. Not every landlord does, but they should, a printed reference is very easy to type up and falsify

I have no ex land lord reference ?? I can't get in contact with my old one ., not sure what to do , impossible to get a flat without a references

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Big Davey

thefires wrote: »
    I have no ex land lord reference ?? I can't get in contact with my old one ., not sure what to do , impossible to get a flat without a references
    A reference from work etc would be better than a landlords reference.
    Just because someone is a landlord does not make them any more honest than the next person.
    I am a landlord and know loads of others and if I had a bad tenant I would give them a glowing reference just to get rid of them out of my house as the Evection process is very difficult.
    Get a reference from somewhere else work, colledge, a Garda etc most landlords make up their mind within the first few minutes of meeting you so you have to convince them you will be a good tenant anyway.

Why don't you ask your most recent landlord why he/she is refusing to give you a reference?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

do new landlords check up on a printed reference you give them when aquiring a new flat , or is the printed reference usually good enough ??

Every time. Very often the written reference is given to get the person out asap, but the phone call can reveal a lot more about the tenant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭by the seaside

Out of interest, if I've been a home owner and self employed in the UK for 10 years and am moving to Ireland to rent and take up a new job, what should I do for a reference?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

Out of interest, if I've been a home owner and self employed in the UK for 10 years and am moving to Ireland to rent and take up a new job, what should I do for a reference?

I'd say start looking well before you move. A reference from your job might work or offer three months rent as a deposit. In many parts of the country there is a shortage of rental properties and landlords are wary of getting bad tenants so they are now in a position to be more picky about who they let to, it is just too difficult to get a bad tenant out again.

The more references you can provide the better but if you provide a copy of a bank statement to prove you have funds to pay
    A reference from your employer
    And a previous landlords landline in the UK you should have no problems at all.

Big Davey wrote: »
    The more references you can provide the better but if you provide a copy of a bank statement to prove you have funds to pay
    A reference from your employer
    And a previous landlords landline in the UK you should have no problems at all.

Thanks. We'll think of something but we haven't had a landlord for 10 years so will have to do without that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭MouseTail

If you can prove home ownership for that period, that would definitely supersede a LL reference, you would be a stellar candidate for a letting. Mature, responsible, probably capable of changing a washer, bleeding a rad etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,692 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Thanks. We'll think of something but we haven't had a landlord for 10 years so will have to do without that.

I used a reference from my property manager at home (ie the one who is looking after the property I own and am renting out) and one from the job I got here.

Another option is from your accountant at home.

LL's with brains realise the benefits of mature-age tenants, who will have different options for references.

I used a reference from my property manager at home (ie the one who is looking after the property I own and am renting out) and one from the job I got here.

Another option is from your accountant at home.

LL's with brains realise the benefits of mature-age tenants, who will have different options for references.

Thanks. Yes, I was thinking my accountant - benn with them 10 years. And I have a job with a big firm so that may help.

Advertisement