Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gordons Sloe Gin

Options
  • 08-03-2015 5:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know if it's possible to buy it in Ireland?

I've seen it in a pub in Dublin (House), but the bar girl just assumed it's readily available from off licences. It's not. I buy it from Amazon and spend a fortune on postage. I'd really like to just be able to buy it in an off licence.

I've tried Tesco (they have it in Tesco UK), O Briens, Molloys, Super Valu and a couple of local off licences. No joy.

Please tell me somewhere it can be gotten! My next plan is a trip up north to buy a case of it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭OldBean

Drinkstore in Stoneybatter have it and deliver.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭MrWalsh

OldBean wrote: »
    Drinkstore in Stoneybatter have it and deliver.

OldBean, you rock!

I just checked their website, it's not on it. Have you seen it in store?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭OldBean

Yep, pretty sure. I was in there about 3 hours ago. Give them a call - They're friendly guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Technique

MrWalsh wrote: »

I've seen it in a pub in Dublin (House), but the bar girl just assumed it's readily available from off licences. It's not. I buy it from Amazon and spend a fortune on postage. I'd really like to just be able to buy it in an off licence.

I've tried Tesco (they have it in Tesco UK), O Briens, Molloys, Super Valu and a couple of local off licences. No joy.

Please tell me somewhere it can be gotten! My next plan is a trip up north to buy a case of it.

If you do decide to go up north (you must be pretty fond of it!), sainsburys have it as I've bought it there before.

Technique wrote: »
    If you do decide to go up north (you must be pretty fond of it!), sainsburys have it as I've bought it there before.

Oh thanks! They also do Juniper Green Organic Gin which is lovely - so I could get a case of both :)

I do really like it, I like to have a large gin and tonic before my Sunday dinner and the Gordons Sloe Gin is my favourite.

• Advertisement

So no luck, Diageo emailed me back to say they don't supply it in
    Ireland.

Phoned (and emailed) drink store, he said they have had it and he will look into getting it and let me know but haven't heard a dicky bird since then.

So looks like I'll have to make a trip up north.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,438 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Why not make your own? It's ridiculously easy, as long as you can find the sloes.

Alun wrote: »
    Why not make your own? It's ridiculously easy, as long as you can find the sloes.

Id still have to source the sloes from somewhere and given the price they seem to sell at on Amazon for example - itd work out dearer than just buying it ready made.

No need to buy them, they're all around you growing in hedgerows all over Ireland, just waiting to be picked! If you're anywhere near Dublin / N Wicklow I can give you a few places to look when the time comes, i.e. late Autumn.

Alun wrote: »
    No need to buy them, they're all around you growing in hedgerows all over Ireland, just waiting to be picked! If you're anywhere near Dublin / N Wicklow I can give you a few places to look when the time comes, i.e. late Autumn.

Id be afraid Id poison myself!!

But please, do share some locations and come Autumn I might give it a try...

• Advertisement

PM sent.

Thanks Alun.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭katydid

Buy a bottle of Gordons, collect some sloes in September and make your own!

Id still have to source the sloes from somewhere and given the price they seem to sell at on Amazon for example - itd work out dearer than just buying it ready made.
    You can buy sloes online!? Jaysus, I've heard everything now.

Suss yourself out a nice spot where there's a sloe bush - it won't have any sloes on now, but once it's in leaf you'll identify it easily by the small green leaves and the thorns. Go back in September with a big bucket...

It's best to freeze the sloes for a month or two at least before you use them anyway. It juices them up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

Mesrine65 wrote: »

Interesting. I can't imagine they'd be as juicy, even when reconstituted. But worth a try.

Advertisement