Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The stop using "big words" comeback

Options
  • 08-03-2015 5:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭

Anyone find that if your having a heated conversation and then they drop this in. As for the big word in question it was "absurd". I really thought it was fairly commonly used. It was the right word for the situation, not another one.

What other words have you found that are off limits?
    Its surely the most irritating thing when people get their backs up rather than get the message of what you said (which they did or they wouldn't have snapped in the way they did)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Adamantium wrote: »
    Anyone find that if your having a heated conversation and then they drop this in. As for the big word in question it was "absurd". I really thought it was fairly commonly used. It was the right word for the situation, not another one.

Shinnerbot! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭Renegade Mechanic

Strawman!

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭irish coldplayer

sheeple!

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭ygolometsipe

smiles is a big word.

There's a mile between the two 's'

• Registered Users Posts: 22,233 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Binglibongliboop!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,507 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Constantinople is a very big word and if you cannot spell it you're a very big dunce!
    It

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭Sir Osis of Liver.

I hate the way the Yanks change the spelling of our words by dropping the letter "U",words like colour and honour.

What a bnch of stpid fcking cnts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Anybody that retorts with some crack about a thesaurus or big words can just be safely dismissed as a retard. In a way, it's handy because they flag that early on in your interactions with them and you can ignore them in the future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,703 ✭✭✭IrishTrajan

Its surely the most irritating thing when people get their backs up rather than get the message of what you said (which they did or they wouldn't have snapped in the way they did)

It's anti-intellectualism. I just laugh and mock their intelligence. Works a charm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭JohnnyChimpo

If somebody says that to you, you should probably draw a line under the argument right there, it's not going anywhere. And maybe consider never talking to them again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

Don't be a sesquipedalian talker, as you will rapidly lose your audience.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭Titzon Toast

anncoates wrote: »
    Anybody that retorts with some crack about a thesaurus or big words can just be safely dismissed as a retard. In a way, it's handy because they flag that early on in your interactions with them and you can ignore them in the future.

What's another word for thesaurus?

I'll get my coat...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Adamantium

If somebody says that to you, you should probably draw a line under the argument right there, it's not going anywhere. And maybe consider never talking to them again.

Family, unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭qt3.14

I think you meant retort, OP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Dog of Tears

Family, unfortunately.

Too big.
    'Alas' is better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Adamantium

qt3.14 wrote: »

I had actually used that word in the OP, but then realised that AH would slaughter me for the irony of putting it in a post using big words, so I errd on the side of caution.

We'll never know how much ridicule I could have suffered!

I hate the way the Yanks change the spelling of our words by dropping the letter "U",words like colour and honour.

What a bnch of stpid fcking cnts.

"our" words???

That happened hundreds of years ago, time to get over it. And at least the Americans are being consistent, the Brits only dopped the U in some cases.

Johnson's 1755 dictionary used -our for all words still so spelled in Britain (like colour), but also for words where the u has since been dropped: ambassadour, emperour, governour, perturbatour, inferiour, superiour; errour, horrour, mirrour, tenour, terrour, tremour

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭qt3.14

"our" words???

That happened hundreds of years ago, time to get over it. And at least the Americans are being consistent, the Brits only dopped the U in some cases.

Johnson's 1755 dictionary used -our for all words still so spelled in Britain (like colour), but also for words where the u has since been dropped: ambassadour, emperour, governour, perturbatour, inferiour, superiour; errour, horrour, mirrour, tenour, terrour, tremour

Motherfcker! I knew I was right back in school!

I was once giving directions to a friend on how to get to a town, I said that he could drive via Colchester to get there.

"Stop using big words" he said.

via ???? its only got three letters???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Absurd is a perfectly cromulant word, I fail to see the issue here.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

qt3.14 wrote: »

You shouldn't call people retorts.

The proper nomenclature is mentally challenged.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭Sir Osis of Liver.

"our" words???

Masterbatour?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,233 ✭✭✭✭endacl

What's another word for thesaurus?

I'll get my coat...

Onomasticon. What's another word for coat?

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 20,409 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Disestablishmentarianism.

Now that's a word.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

kneemos wrote: »
    Now that's a word.

That is a word.

These, those and there are also words.

As is also, are and words.

All words.

As indeed are all words.

Masterbatour?

Onanist?

kneemos wrote: »
    Disestablishmentarianism.

Now that's a word.
    Antidisestablishmentarianism is another one ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,409 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Touche.

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Frito

Semi-quasi-pseudoantidisestablishmentarianism.

Yes, really!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭melissak

Billy86 wrote: »
    Absurd is a perfectly cromulant word, I fail to see the issue here.

I agree. Perfectly cromulant.
    :-)

Advertisement