Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

cooker wiring help

Options
  • 08-03-2015 2:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Replacing the mother's cooker. I took the terminal panel off the back of the cooker and i've no idea how the cables connect in. Never seen this setup before and the manual is poor. Any ideas? it's a zanussi cooker.

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

At the risk of starting a firestorm, if you're not comfortable with the panel that's in front of you, don't do it, get in a professional that does know what they're doing!

There's a (L)ive, a (N)eutral, and an (E)arth, and by the look of it, there's 3 terminals that WILL take a screwdriver. It's not rocket science, the panel that's there is probably used on other cookers that are not single phase as in this case.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

I'm fine with doing this stuff. I've never seen this connection before so looking for an explanation is all. They do take a screw driver and typically there would be a hole to insert the cable into and then the screw will tighten the wire, in this case there is no other hole other than the hole the screw came out of.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,878 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

loosen each screw. insert the correct coloured cable between the screw and the backplate. tighten each screw.

I do agree though if you couldn't figure this out on your own then legally you are not competent and should not be attempting this at all. No offense intended.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,327 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

It's designed so that you shape the exposed ends of the mains cable into a 'U', take the screw out completely, insert the cable looped around the hole, flat against the backplate with no overlap and then replace the screw, that way about 75% of the back of the screw should be in contact with the cable for a good connection with no hotspots. On the photo you posted it looks like it's designed so the cable will come down on the right side, loop around clockwise and then stop at that blocking piece of metal that's folded out, visible at the 11 o'clock position above each screw, that looks like a feature designed to make sure there's no loose cable sticking out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭the corpo

Boosting this, as it's the most relevant for my query, but I want to replace my old electric cooker. The existing grey cable disappears into the plastwork, so I would hope that this cable can just be wired directly into the new cooker I buy.

Is this normal enough, or will the installation guys refuse to do it?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,532 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

It is normal for the cable to appear out of the wall and it would be normal for this to be wired into the new cooker.

Some installation people will connect the cooker for you, some won't, you need to ask.

The cable may or may not be suiatble depending mainly on the cable type and size. If the new electric cooker has the same or less power than the old one you should be ok, it is hard to say without seeing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭the corpo

Great, thanks. It's a big thick grey one, which I think is the technical term, fingers crossed it'll be grand!

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 5,374 Mod ✭✭✭✭aido79

Crossing your fingers won't stop your house going on fire so you need to make sure the cable is correctly sized for the cooker being installed.

Is there currently a cooker switch for the old cooker?

Advertisement