Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is a house with just a front door (no rear access) legal to rent out ?

Options
  • 08-03-2015 12:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭

I am looking at a property with a view to renting it out. It would have had a back garden years ago but now the back of the house is backing onto an apartment block and has no back door.
    It made me wonder is it legal to rent out a house like this ? In the case of a fire there is only one way out.
    A person was living there till recently and the houses on the road are all the same situation no back door.
    BUT
    That does not necessarily make it legal as a rental.
    Obviously most apartments don't have back doors and they are legal to rent.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,981 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Most houses have no rear access, it doesn't stop you hopping walls in the worst case though.

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Big Davey

Most houses have no rear access, it doesn't stop you hopping walls in the worst case though.
    No it actually has no back door !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭castle2012

Big Davey wrote: »
    No it actually has no back door !

I suppose it depends when the property was built.if built in the last 20 years fire regulations would insist on a back escape. Not sure before that

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

castle2012 wrote: »
    I suppose it depends when the property was built.if built in the last 20 years fire regulations would insist on a back escape. Not sure before that

Fire regulations may not insist on a back way out at all. Think of back to back houses. The fire escape is determined on travel distance to a safe place and that safe place could be a protected lobby or the front door.

OP I would have to see floor plans or photos to comment any further.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭Grandpa Hassan

Apartments only have one door. Why would a house be subject to different rules?

• Advertisement
Advertisement