Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baggage restrictions for last leg of flight

Options
  • 08-03-2015 3:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭✭

hi all,

I'm flying with my family from Tokyo to Shannon - via Abu Dhabi and Heathrow. The first two legs are with Etihad and their weight limit is 30 kilos.

The last leg is with Aer Lingus and their weight limit is 20 kilos, and they have a charge for flights within Europe, but I'm not sure if this applies to us, as it's part of a longer journey.

We bought the tickets as one set/journey, not individually, but I'm worried that we'll be hit for charges for the last leg (Heathrow to Shannon).

Can anybody comment on the liklihood of this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭iusedtoknow

If you are booking your bags straight through you should be fine. I have never had issues with Aer Lingus with different baggage amounts - a few weeks I flew to Europe early for a business trip so flew British Airways from San Francisco to London then switched onto Aer Lingus into Cork. No issues - same as well when I flew British from Dublin->London->Zurich

When it's on the same booking and long haul, they usually honor it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Single ticket, no problem

• Registered Users Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Cheers, it is a single ticket so I figured it would be ok, but good to hear others with the same opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭Minier81

Definitely all fine if booked as complete journey.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

all fine, baggage allowance will be the same as the longhaul sector. Only concern I would have is if LHR - SNN is operated by Aer Lingus regional as their cabin allowance is less.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

all fine, baggage allowance will be the same as the longhaul sector. Only concern I would have is if LHR - SNN is operated by Aer Lingus regional as their cabin allowance is less.

Yep. Agree with this. Your checked baggage will be fine, as it is all on the one ticket. But the plane used on the final leg of trip, could impact what you are allowed carry on board. If the flight is operated by Aer Lingus Regional, they use smaller planes than on their other routes. The space in the over head bins is smaller, so the cabin bag allowance is smaller. If your bag is too big, may be asked to check it in, even though it may not have been too big for the Toyko leg of the trip.

( Here are the size limits from their website. http://www.aerlingus.com/travelinformation/baggageinformation/cabinbaggage/ )

So if you have important travel documents, valuable electronics, medication etc etc, make sure they go into a bag that you are sure you will be allowed bring on board.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,467 ✭✭✭highlydebased

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Yep. Agree with this. Your checked baggage will be fine, as it is all on the one ticket. But the plane used on the final leg of trip, could impact what you are allowed carry on board. If the flight is operated by Aer Lingus Regional, they use smaller planes than on their other routes. The space in the over head bins is smaller, so the cabin bag allowance is smaller. If your bag is too big, may be asked to check it in, even though it may not have been too big for the Toyko leg of the trip.

( Here are the size limits from their website. http://www.aerlingus.com/travelinformation/baggageinformation/cabinbaggage/ )

So if you have important travel documents, valuable electronics, medication etc etc, make sure they go into a bag that you are sure you will be allowed bring on board.

LHR-SNN is not operated by Aer Lingus Regional so no worries about carry on luggage.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,144 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

I dont think theres any Regional planes operating to LHR. Theres also no Aer Lingus Regional in Shannon anymore.

If its any difference to you, LHR-SNN is operated by an A319 jet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Batgurl

Just on this-you may still need to check your carry on. Aer lingus planes who are feeders from larger codeshares are usually pretty strict on cabin baggage and will accept only the first 100 or so bags so if you are one of the last to board and the bins are full they may make you check it. Hateful but it's happened me a few times. No charge to check it but it'll be the last bag out.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Thanks all for the replies - no problems with either checked pr carry on baggage in the end.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement