Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Diamond replacement - Fell out within a week

Options
  • 07-03-2015 7:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭

I left a diamond ring in to get a small diamond replaced. The cost was €150. The same diamond fell out again within a few days. I returned it to the jewelers and they said the claw needed building up. They send repairs out and couldn't tell me if I would get charged for the re-repair. Where do I stand legally with this issue?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

I left a diamond ring in to get a small diamond replaced. The cost was €150. The same diamond fell out again within a few days. I returned it to the jewelers and they said the claw needed building up. They send repairs out and couldn't tell me if I would get charged for the re-repair. Where do I stand legally with this issue?

Was the €150 just for diamond? If so, then repair of claw would seem to be a seperate item of service.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Trancechick

davo10 wrote: »
    Was the €150 just for diamond? If so, then repair of claw would seem to be a seperate item of service.

The €150 payment was for the diamond replacement. The girl in the shop looked at the ring when I returned it and said that the claw holding that diamond in needed to be built up. I would have expected that they would have done that when the repaired it initially.

The €150 payment was for the diamond replacement. The girl in the shop looked at the ring when I returned it and said that the claw holding that diamond in needed to be built up. I would have expected that they would have done that when the repaired it initially.

I could be wrong but I would have thought that "replacing the diamond" is just that, they put a new diamond in position. If the claw needs to be built up, that may involve saldering/replacing claw arms, that is very different from putting a new diamond in.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

I could be wrong but I would have thought that "replacing the diamond" is just that, they put a new diamond in position. If the claw needs to be built up, that may involve saldering/replacing claw arms, that is very different from putting a new diamond in.
    You might reasonably expect that a jeweller, who is supposedly expert, would know better than to mount an expensive stone in a setting that is not suitable for it. I would expect the new repair to be f.o.c.

You might reasonably expect that a jeweller, who is supposedly expert, would know better than to mount an expensive stone in a setting that is not suitable for it. I would expect the new repair to be f.o.c.

I would have thought that if the claw needed to be repaired then op would have been charged for it, that is why I asked if the €150 was for the replacement diamond only. The strength of the claw can depend on the quality of the ring, the grade/strength of metal used and the design. The diamond fell out so the claw may not have been strong enough to hold it, by building it up, new claw arms will need to be added, that is time consuming work and is due to an issue with the ring. If this was done first time around, ops quote would have been a lot higher.

• Advertisement

P. Breathnach, that's what I was thinking.

I would have thought that if the claw needed to be repaired then op would have been charged for it, that is why I asked if the €150 was for the replacement diamond only. The strength of the claw can depend on the quality of the ring, the grade/strength of metal used and the design. The diamond fell out so the claw may not have been strong enough to hold it, by building it up, new claw arms will need to be added, that is time consuming work and is due to an issue with the ring. If this was done first time around, ops quote would have been a lot higher.

Davo10, I left the ring in to get the diamond replaced and expected any work needed to hold the new diamond in place would be included in that. It doesn't make sense that any work needed to keep the new stone in place would not be part of that.

Davo10, I left the ring in to get the diamond replaced and expected any work needed to hold the new diamond in place would be included in that. It doesn't make sense that any work needed to keep the new stone in place would not be part of that.

That is why I asked if the €150 was for the diamond replacement only. They put a diamond back in which is what you paid for, now it turns out that the claw holding the diamond in is not strong enough, perhaps it was weakened when the original fell out, but this is over and above replacing the diamond so is a seperate item if service. If I have a problem with the spark plugs of my car, I don't expect a new engine if replacing the plug doesn't work.

That is why I asked if the €150 was for the diamond replacement only. They put a diamond back in which is what you paid for, now it turns out that the claw holding the diamond in is not strong enough, perhaps it was weakened when the original fell out, but this is over and above replacing the diamond so is a seperate item if service. If I have a problem with the spark plugs of my car, I don't expect a new engine if replacing the plug doesn't work.

To use a similar analogy, if a headlight lens needs to be replaced you'd expect the clip that holds the headlight to be replaced too. If it wasn't, a call to say work over and above what initially discussed is necessary. If there was an extra charge for work on the claw holding the diamond the jeweler could have called me. I wouldn't have had an issue playing extra if that was what was required to leave the ring in perfect condition.

To use a similar analogy, if a headlight lens needs to be replaced you'd expect the clip that holds the headlight to be replaced too. If it wasn't, a call to say work over and above what initially discussed is necessary. If there was an extra charge for work on the claw holding the diamond the jeweler could have called me. I wouldn't have had an issue playing extra if that was what was required to leave the ring in perfect condition.

Did they know that the claw in its current condition was not strong enough to hold the diamond? Presumably all they did for €150 was put a new diamond back in and tighten the claws. If those claws subsequently are now found to be not strong enough to hold a diamond in through no fault on their part, why wouldn't they charge for building up a new claw?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Was the ring originally purchased from the repairer?

Did they know that the claw in its current condition was not strong enough to hold the diamond? Presumably all they did for €150 was put a new diamond back in and tighten the claws. If those claws subsequently are now found to be not strong enough to hold a diamond in through no fault on their part, why wouldn't they charge for building up a new claw?

Given the original diamond fell out I would have assumed it was obvious that the claw wasn't strong enough to hold the diamond. Maybe that's me being naive.

Was the ring originally purchased from the repairer?

No, the ring was purchased in the US nearly 10 years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

No, the ring was purchased in the US nearly 10 years ago.

In that case I can understand the first repair being to just replace the stone. Any additional work would now have to be paid for.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

In that case I can understand the first repair being to just replace the stone....
    It's reasonable to expect that the stone be replaced securely or if in the jeweller's expert eye the claw was unsuitable that OP be advised of that fact.

Advertisement