Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving cert history essays

Options
  • 07-03-2015 2:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

I am currently doing higher level history for the leaving cert and I'm finding it difficult to know exactly what to put into certain essays and what to leave out. For example the question
    What was the importance of the moon landing in 1969?
    How narrow does my essay have to be? Do I talk about how they achieved the moon landings or what? because I don't know how I can fill a whole essay with just the importance of the moon landing :P
    I'm probably not making any sense but if anyone understands what im saying please help me!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Jolly Red Giant

flankerdo wrote: »
    I am currently doing higher level history for the leaving cert and I'm finding it difficult to know exactly what to put into certain essays and what to leave out. For example the question
    What was the importance of the moon landing in 1969?
    How narrow does my essay have to be? Do I talk about how they achieved the moon landings or what? because I don't know how I can fill a whole essay with just the importance of the moon landing :P
    I'm probably not making any sense but if anyone understands what im saying please help me!

You could try here -

http://leavingcerthistory.net

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭AtomicKoala

Honestly, I'd say avoid any question that asks you to write a 100 mark essay on only one case study - these questions are for students who barely studied the course, and you'd struggle to get more than two or so pages.

Questions involving more than one case study are fine though.

Anyway, you need contextualisation. That's key. WWII - defeat of Germans and rocket tech, Cold War, Sputnik, Cuba, Berlin, Vietnam - these are all crucial pieces of background. Then focus on how it was the culmination of so much tech advancement.

Talk about the various Apollo missions up to Apollo 10 (which went around the moon). Then, two or three pages in, talk about the landing - international reaction, space race victory etc.

Then, conclude with the final missions, cutbacks, Soviet space stations, space probes, Vietnam, the Shuttle etc.

Advertisement