Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

wildlife holidays

Options
  • 07-03-2015 9:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭

Hey all.
    I'm planning on going on a big wildlife holiday next year. I haven't actually picked what exactly because there are so many, and so many different animals, sights I'd like to see.
    There are so many different options.
    If I could afford it I'd love to see the world. :)

I'd love to see the northern lights/ whale watching.
    Amazon.
    Galapagos.
    safari.
    elephants.
    bears.
    (Antarctica, but I'd have to win the lottery for that :( )

My question is/are.....
    Has anybody been on a wildlife holiday?'
    what were your experiences?
    What would you recommend?
    is anybody going on one?
    Where/ what would you like to see?

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 392 ✭✭Jayzesake

Wow, lucky you.

For megafauna it would have to be Africa, but my first choice would be rainforest, probably South or Central America. Peru or Costa Rica maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

Have a look at the Okavango Delta in Botswana. Amazing place. I did it last year, and you're brought into the middle of the delta in narrow canoes and camp for a few nights. Saw lots of animals and you feel like you're really off the grid. I'd love to do the Northern Lights at some stage too.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,676 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Been to Africa three times. Twice to Kenya and once to Zim. In the former I stayed at Ol Peejetaa and Wamba. Saw some really cool stuff like Lions, Hyena, Wild Dog, Black Rhino, Greevy Zebra etc. Birds were amazing too. Toying with the idea of going to Chad next year to visit Zakouma NP.

PS: I'm heading to Turkey in May to see vultures, woodpeckers, storks etc. Was there in October and got to see Wolves and a load of other first timers. Can't recommend the place enough in terms of wildlife and value for money when it comes to great food and accommodation. Very friendly people too and have made some good contacts there. If anyone is interested in a wildlife holiday there, especially finding rare birds, I can pm them a few contacts

• Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭deise08

I don't even know where to start. I'm looking at adverts in wildlife magazines. Which I've been doing since I've been thirteen, finally said I'd put my mind to it and do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭Rosahane

If you can ride a horse a pack trip in Yellowstone or one of the other national parks in Montana or Wyoming would be awesome!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 392 ✭✭Jayzesake

deise08 wrote: »
    I don't even know where to start. I'm looking at adverts in wildlife magazines. Which I've been doing since I've been thirteen, finally said I'd put my mind to it and do it.

Personally, rather than seeking places with spectacularly iconic species or panoramas, I'd be more interested in locations where you can begin to get a deeper feel for the underlying ecology of the natural ecosystems. That would probably mean off the beaten tourist track.

Also, I'd be really interested in places where an important part of what I'd be experiencing and learning about wouldn't just regard the wildlife itself, but issues regarding the conservation or even restoration of species and ecosystems.

To be really ambitious about it, if possible I'd be trying to identify those places where I could in some way make a real contribution somehow through my visit, rather than just passing through passively. An example of this would be places where particular habitats or species are under real and imminent threat in some way: your very presence will help to highlight that threat, and the fact that outsiders place enough value on those things that are threatened to come and spend money (so, $$$ to the local economy), and that therefore it's in the interests of the local community to protect it as an economic asset.

Your holiday could be both enjoyable and at the same time play its part in something positive, if you plan it right.

Sorry if all that is a bit garbled or long-winded, am a bit wrecked (long week) and am going to bed now.

Advertisement