Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hacked account?

Options
  • 06-03-2015 7:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,609 ✭✭✭

Folks,

I received the below e-mail in my inbox earlier and I am worried now my online bank account might be hacked. Has anyone received this before. I presume its one of those phising e-mail. I never authorised a purchase such as that described

Your Apple ID was just used to buy Summer Games 3D, v1.2 (4+) App £7.69 Your receipt No.368475868832350‏

Subject: Your Apple ID was just used to buy Summer Games 3D, v1.2 (4+) App £7.69 Your receipt No.368475868832350

Billed To:

<SNIP>

GBR Order Number: MHD6JM3FB6
    Receipt Date: 06/03/2015
    Order Total: £7.69
    Billed To: Credit Card

Item Developer Type Unit Price

Summer Games 3D, v1.2 (4+)
    Write a Review Report a Problem Olivier Monaret App £7.69

Order Total: £7.69

Please retain for your records
    Please See Below For Terms And Conditions Pertaining To This Order.

iTunes Store
    You can find the iTunes Store Terms of Sale and Sales Policies by launching your iTunes application and clicking on Terms of Sale or Sales Policies

Answers to frequently asked questions regarding the iTunes Store can be found at <SNIP>

RecommendationsRecommendationsRecommendations

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Exactly what address did the email come from?
    Probably just spam. Anything gone from your bank account?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

My husband got one of those emails a few months ago. He was a bit worried until he realised they sent it to an email address that isn't linked to his Apple account.

As you said, it's just a phishing scam. Log into your apple account and check your purchase history, I'm sure this purchase won't be there and change your password just in case.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,138 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I got an email like that once and it turned out the shop assistant had written the actual buyer's email address down incorrectly. I knew I didn't have any apple products so made an educated guess at the person's actual email based on their name and forwarded it to them.
    The woman said she had corrected them in the shop but they obviously ignored her.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,063 ✭✭✭Miaireland

It's spam. i have had a few in the last few months. Even rang apple about one of them and it wasn't from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭tuisginideach

I have got a few too - just ignore them

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

Spam. They want you to click on the link in the email which simulates an official site. They hope you wont realize this and enter your credentials. Boom, they now have you.
    If in doubt about emails like this from apple/paypal/your bank then contact them directly by typing their url in your browser, not by clicking the link in these emails.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭gazzamc

I got one of these a few days ago, always check the outgoing links (by hovering over them with the mouse).. I knew it wasn't legit as I don't have any payment method saved on iTunes..

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭Trev De rev

I get them all the time. i dont even have iTunes. Dont click on link probably ask for your bank details to sort it for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭Comerman

I get those regularly, just delete it and if apple "really" need to get in touch they will somehow other than email. Like was said earlier they just want you to click on the link and they will get your details etc. and also every email address in your contacts giving them another list to try spam. I forward mine to spam at uce.gov (google it) along with the numerous "banks" that say my account is temporary blocked, some of them not even in Ireland.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 449 ✭✭Tearin It Up

A few months ago, around November, my sister got one of them. I knew instantly it was a scam and I told her to ignore it. The real thing would never provide links and the email receipt had some rubbish if you didnt make this purchase, clink the link for refund.

What receipt from an online retailer would ever say that, if you didnt make this purchase ??? Giving you a chance to dispute it after buying it.

But she was genuinely freaking out as if someone really did hack into her account.

A while later, I go into the room to find that she pulled out her debit card. I don't know if she ignored it and if she clicked on the link. Or just internet shopping. But on the same night she gets a scam email and was worried about it.

I don't know if it was a coincidence or not but her card was skimmed at Christmas.

I got a similar email a few weeks later to an email I don't use on iTunes.

If you're worried with such emails. Logout from your email and go into the real iTunes yourself. It should show your purchase history.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

I don't have an Itunes account and I keep getting these mails - it's definately a phishing scam just delete and ignore

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭PeteK*

They're expecting you to click the links in their email and login to your Apple ID, basically giving them your login details.
    If you do change your password, make sure it wasn't by clinking on anything in that email.

Advertisement